How to deal with unusual factor-group?

• Thread starter tuu-tikki
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the homotopy groups of a vacuum manifold resulting from the breaking of symmetry group SU(3) by two Higgs fields in adjoint representation. Using the theorem that a transitive action of G on M results in M being isomorphic to G/H, where H is the stationary subgroup, the manifold is found to be isomorphic to SU(3)/(U(1)xU(1)). Using further theorems, the homotopy groups are determined to be \pi_2 (SU(3)/(U(1)\times U(1))) = Z \times Z ; \pi_1 (SU(3)/(U(1)\times U(1))) = 0.
tuu-tikki

Homework Statement

Let symmetry group SU(3) be broken by two Higgs fields in adjoint representation, so as SU(3) is transitive on vacuum manifold M, and the fields in one of vacuums are diagonal:
[tex]v_1 \cdot [/tex] diag(1,1,-2); [tex] v_1 \cdot [/tex] diag(1,-1,0). Find the homotopy groups of vacuum manifold [tex]\pi_2 [/tex] (M); [tex]\pi_1 [/tex] (M).

Homework Equations

Theorem. M=G/H, if action G is transitive on M, H - stationary subgroup. Stationary subgroup consists of all the elements h[tex]\in[/tex] G which don't change the element of M: F(h) m = m, m[tex]\in[/tex] M. There also is a theorem that the resulting subgroup H doesn't depend on the chosen element m.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, to use the theorem, we have to find stationary subgroup H, and the manifold M would be isomorphic to SU(3)/H. One element of M (we'll call it m) is given right in the problem statement. So, we should find all h that F(h) m = m. The fields do transform on the adjoint representation of SU(3), so it is [tex] h m h^{-1} = m [/tex] which leads us to equation [h,m]=0, [,] is commutator. For the given in the problem statement vacuum m (two expressions for fields) one can find two constraints on all the elements h. In addition to this, elements [tex] h \in H [/tex] are subgroups of SU(3), so, if we take it into account, we'll get such an expression for subgroup H:
[tex] \begin{pmatrix}
e^{i\phi} & 0 &0 \\
0 & e^{i\psi}& 0\\
0 & 0 & e^{-i\phi-i\psi}
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

It seems to me that group of such matrices is isomorphic to U(1)xU(1). So, the desired manifold is M= SU(3)/(U(1)xU(1)). Firstly, I want to ask about some site or book where many of the relations using the factor groups are gathered (like [tex] SU(2)/Z_2 = SO(3) [/tex]). They really make life easier sometimes; and, in particular, I want to know if SU(3)/(U(1)xU(1) is isomorphic to some more simple-written group. Moreover, I completely don't understand how to find homotopy groups like [tex]\pi_2 [/tex] (SU(3)/(U(1)xU(1))). Give an idea, please. Probably SU(3)/(U(1)xU(1)) is homotopically equivalent to something easy?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution.

I found the answer to it by myself.
There's such a theorem that if there is a bundle (G, G/H, H), G is compact and simply-connected then [tex]\pi_2 (G/H) = \pi_1 (H) [/tex]. Also if G is connected, [tex]\pi_1 (G/H) = \pi_0 (H) [/tex]. So, the desired homotopy classes are [tex] \pi_2 (SU(3)/(U(1)\times U(1))) = \pi_1 (U(1) \times U(1)) = \pi_1 (U(1)) \times \pi_1 (U(1)) = Z \times Z ; \pi_1 (SU(3)/(U(1)\times U(1))) = \pi_0 (U(1) \times U(1)) = 0[/tex].

FAQ: How to deal with unusual factor-group?

1. How do I identify and classify an unusual factor-group?

In order to identify and classify an unusual factor-group, you will need to gather data and information about the group's characteristics, behavior, and environment. This can include conducting experiments, observing the group's interactions, and researching previous studies on similar groups. Once you have enough information, you can use classification methods such as hierarchical clustering or principal component analysis to classify the group.

2. What are some potential challenges in dealing with an unusual factor-group?

Some potential challenges in dealing with an unusual factor-group include limited data availability, lack of previous research or studies, and difficulties in accurately measuring the group's behavior or characteristics. Additionally, there may be ethical concerns to consider when studying and interacting with the group.

3. How can I effectively communicate my findings about an unusual factor-group?

When communicating your findings about an unusual factor-group, it is important to present your data and observations clearly and objectively. Use visual aids such as charts or graphs to help illustrate your points, and provide explanations and interpretations of your results. It is also important to acknowledge any limitations or uncertainties in your findings.

4. How can I ethically approach studying an unusual factor-group?

When studying an unusual factor-group, it is important to prioritize ethical considerations. This includes obtaining informed consent from individuals within the group, maintaining confidentiality and privacy, and minimizing any potential harm to the group or its members. It may also be necessary to obtain approval from an institutional review board before conducting any research.

5. What are some potential benefits of studying an unusual factor-group?

Studying an unusual factor-group can lead to a better understanding of the group's behavior and characteristics, as well as potential insights into larger scientific theories or concepts. It can also potentially inform interventions or treatments for the group or similar groups. Additionally, studying an unusual factor-group can contribute to the diversity and inclusivity of scientific research.