How to decide what career to persue?

In summary, if you're interested in a certain area of work, it's a good idea to do some research, take a course in that area, or look for an internship or job in that area.
Tyrion101
I am wondering, if something finding some free courses online in the areas that I am looking at would help me to decide what I'd like to pursue in college before I get there? Is there some other way of finding out if I'd really even like it?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no litmus test for this king of thing. In my experience most people figure it out by trial and error.

If you think you might be interested in something:
- read up on it
- take a course in that area
- job shadow
- find an intership
- seek out others who work in the field or other students who are interested in it

Just google "online lecture in X". you will find it. :)
Alternatively, you can youtube it so you only get video lectures.

BiP

Like many, I didn't choose my career. It sneaked up on me. And I actually like it. The money is ok, the work and the people are interesting, and gosh, I do get lots of cool toys to play with.

A lot of people are dead set on the actual kind of work they're doing and they fail to realize that there is more to engineering and science than just the design or the research. You have to sell it, maintain it, document it, market it, finance it, and manage it.

And surprisingly that involves a lot of other people. You could be doing very interesting work but everyone around you are scum of the Earth and you would be unappreciated. You could be doing some work that is almost as interesting, but have some interesting people, a stable job, less stress, and a better life overall.

This is not just about the work. This is about building a career and living better. I don't need to work on the really cool stuff. Sometimes the mundane stuff can be surprisingly fun and surprisingly challenging.

I believe that the best way to decide on a career path is to gain hands-on experience in the field. While taking free online courses can provide a basic understanding of a subject, it may not give you a true sense of what it would be like to work in that field on a daily basis. I would suggest seeking out internships, volunteering opportunities, or job shadowing experiences in the areas you are interested in. This will allow you to see the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities of a particular career, and help you determine if it is something you would truly enjoy.

Additionally, talking to professionals currently working in the field can provide valuable insights and advice. They can share their experiences and give you a realistic view of what it takes to succeed in that career. Networking events and career fairs are great opportunities to connect with professionals and ask questions about their jobs.

Lastly, I would recommend exploring your interests and passions outside of academics. Pursuing hobbies or activities that align with your potential career can give you a better understanding of your strengths and what you enjoy doing. This can also help you narrow down your options and make a more informed decision.

In summary, while taking online courses can be helpful in exploring different fields, gaining hands-on experience, talking to professionals, and exploring your interests can be more effective in helping you decide on a career path. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of a potential career before making a decision.

FAQ: How to decide what career to persue?

What are the most important factors to consider when deciding on a career?

When deciding on a career, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. These factors will help you determine which career path aligns best with your personal strengths and passions.

What types of resources can help me make an informed decision about my career?

There are various resources available to help you make an informed decision about your career. These include career assessments, informational interviews with professionals in your desired field, job shadowing opportunities, career counseling services, and online research on job responsibilities, salary, and growth opportunities.

Is it necessary to have a specific career goal in mind, or can I explore different options?

It is not necessary to have a specific career goal in mind. It is completely acceptable to explore different options and gain experience in various industries and job roles. This can help you discover your interests and strengths, and ultimately lead you to a fulfilling career path.

How important is salary when choosing a career?

Salary is an important factor to consider when choosing a career, but it should not be the sole determining factor. It is important to also consider job satisfaction, work-life balance, and opportunities for growth and advancement in addition to salary.

What if I am unsure about which career path to pursue?

If you are unsure about which career path to pursue, it can be helpful to seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor. They can provide valuable insights and help you identify your strengths and interests. It is also important to continue exploring different options and gaining experience to narrow down your choices.