How to derive Eq. (3.110) in Peskin's book?

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of Eq. (3.110) in Peskin's QFT book, which involves using the equation u(\Lambda^{-1} \tilde{p})=\Lambda^{-1}_{1/2} u(\tilde{p}). The person is having trouble deriving this and shares their attempt, which involves using Lorentz transformations and the spinnor u(p). They ask for help in finding out what is wrong with their derivation. Someone responds by mentioning the same equation being used before in solving the Dirac equation.
physlover
Hello,

I'm having trouble to derive Eq. (3.110) in Peskin's QFT book. In the book, it's said to use
[tex]u(\Lambda^{-1} \tilde{p})=\Lambda^{-1}_{1/2} u(\tilde{p})[/tex]
But I ran into trouble to derive this. Here is my try:

The equation is equivalent to
[tex]u(p)=\Lambda^{-1}_{1/2} u(\Lambda p)[/tex]
To make things simpler, I consider only a boost in axis-1 and a rotation in axis-3. In this way, the Lorentz transform on the momentum is given by Eq. 3.20 and 3.21 in the book, i.e.,
[tex] \tilde{p}^0 = p^0+\beta p^1 [/tex]
[tex]\tilde{p}^1 = p^1+\beta p^0 -\theta p^2 [/tex]
[tex]\tilde{p}^2 = p^2+\theta p^1 [/tex]
[tex]\tilde{p}^3 = p^3 [/tex]
Using Eq.3.37 in the book, and working on the left-hand portion of the spinnor
[tex] \left[ \Lambda^{-1}_{1/2} u(\tilde{p}) \right]_L =(1+i\theta\cdot \sigma/2+\beta\cdot \sigma/2) \sqrt{\tilde{p}\cdot \sigma} \xi [/tex]
[tex]=\sqrt{(1+i\theta \sigma^3+\beta \sigma^1)\left[ (p^0+\beta p^1)-(p^1+\beta p^0 -\theta p^2)\sigma^1-(p^2+\theta p^1)\sigma^2 - p^3\sigma^3 \right]} \xi [/tex]
Keeping the 1st order terms, I have
[tex] \left[ \Lambda^{-1}_{1/2} u(\tilde{p}) \right]_L = \sqrt{p\cdot \sigma +i\theta (p^0\sigma^3-p^3) -i\beta(p^2\sigma^3-p^3\sigma^2)} \xi [/tex]
This is a little different from the left-hand portion of spinnor [tex] u(p) [/tex].

Could someone help me find out what's wrong with the above derivation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I can help you, but the same law was used before while building solutions of Dirac equation in order to get u(P) from u(P-rest frame).

Related to How to derive Eq. (3.110) in Peskin's book?

1. How do I derive Eq. (3.110) in Peskin's book?

To derive Eq. (3.110) in Peskin's book, you can follow the steps outlined in the book. First, use the definition of the propagator to derive the equation for the free scalar field. Then, use the Feynman path integral to derive the Green's function for the free scalar field. Finally, use the Dyson's equation to obtain the full propagator, which is Eq. (3.110).

2. What is the significance of Eq. (3.110)?

Eq. (3.110) is significant because it represents the full propagator in quantum field theory, which is a fundamental quantity used to calculate scattering amplitudes and other physical observables. It is derived from the Dyson's equation, which takes into account interactions between particles and allows for more accurate calculations.

3. Can Eq. (3.110) be used in other contexts besides quantum field theory?

No, Eq. (3.110) is specific to quantum field theory and cannot be applied to other contexts. It is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, which are the foundations of quantum field theory.

4. Are there alternative ways to derive Eq. (3.110)?

Yes, while the method outlined in Peskin's book is a common approach to deriving Eq. (3.110), there are other methods that can also be used. Some may involve different mathematical techniques or starting from different principles, but ultimately they should lead to the same result.

5. How can I use Eq. (3.110) in my research?

Eq. (3.110) can be used in various ways in research related to quantum field theory. It can be used to calculate scattering amplitudes, cross sections, and other physical quantities. It can also be used to study the behavior of particles in different interactions and to make predictions about their properties. However, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of using Eq. (3.110) in any specific research project.

Back