How to derive the branch cuts for complex arcsin(z)

In summary, a branch cut is used in complex analysis to define a principal branch for a multi-valued function, where the values are continuous and unique. To derive branch cuts for complex arcsin(z), one can use the inverse sine function to find the principal value of z and then determine the branch cuts by considering the discontinuities and branch points of the function. It is important to derive branch cuts for complex arcsin(z) to avoid issues with multi-valued functions and ensure the correct values are used in solving complex problems. Another method for deriving branch cuts is using the Riemann surface for the function, which provides a visual representation of the branch cuts and can aid in understanding the function's behavior.
monmon_4
I notice that the branch cuts for arcsin(z) are from -infinity to -1 and 1 to infinity. How do these choices for the branch cuts make the function single-valued? I am having trouble understanding the reasoning here even though these choices for the cuts are widely used/accepted.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe that any two paths from -1 and 1 to infinity that don't intersect themselves or each other (i.e. leaves the complex plane connected) will work. The standard ones seem like a good choice. They are simple and symmetric wrt the real axis.

Related to How to derive the branch cuts for complex arcsin(z)

1. What is a branch cut?

A branch cut is a line or curve in the complex plane where a multi-valued function becomes single-valued. It is used to define a principal branch for the function, where the values are continuous and unique.

2. How do you derive branch cuts for complex arcsin(z)?

To derive branch cuts for complex arcsin(z), you can use the inverse sine function to find the principal value of z. Then, you can determine the branch cuts by considering the discontinuities in the function and finding the branch points where the function becomes multi-valued. The branch cuts will be lines connecting these branch points to infinity.

3. Can you provide an example of deriving branch cuts for complex arcsin(z)?

For example, let z = x + iy. The principal value of arcsin(z) is given by arcsin(z) = arcsin(x + iy) = arcsin(x) + i ln(sqrt(1-x^2)). The branch points for this function are at x = ±1, where the value of the function becomes multi-valued. The branch cuts will be two lines connecting these points to infinity, forming a branch cut along the real axis.

4. Why is it important to derive branch cuts for complex arcsin(z)?

Deriving branch cuts for complex arcsin(z) is important because it allows us to define a unique and continuous principal branch for the function. This helps us avoid issues with multi-valued functions and ensures that we are using the correct values when solving complex problems involving arcsin(z).

5. Are there any other methods for deriving branch cuts for complex arcsin(z)?

Yes, another method for deriving branch cuts for complex arcsin(z) is using the Riemann surface for the function. The branch cuts can be determined by considering the branch points and branch lines on the surface. This method can be more complex, but it provides a visual representation of the branch cuts and can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function.