How to Derive the Oscillation Equation for a Conical Float?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for the oscillation of a conical float with a density of delta 2, floating on water with density 1. The final solution is d^2y/dt^2=-g+(g((L-y)/L)^3)/p, where y(t) is the height of the float, L is the length of the float, g is gravity, and p is the ratio of the two densities. The conversation also addresses finding the submerged volume and weight of water displaced, using delta1 instead of delta2, and clarifying the orientation of the cone.
yoyo
I am trying to derive an equation for the oscillation of a conical float. There is a conical float with a density of delta 2 and its floating on water with density 1. Find the oscillation of the floating conical float. The final solution should be:
d^2y/dt^2=-g+(g((L-y)/L)^3)/p

where y(t) is the height of the conical float over the water, L is the length of the conical float,g is gravity and p is the ratio of the two density delta1/delta2

what i did was i found the submerge volume: (1/3)r^2(L-y)

then the weight of water displaced by the float is:
(1/3)r^2(L-y)*delta2*g

mass of float m=(1/3)r^2(L)*delta2

using this in Newton's second law i got:
d^2y/dt^2=-g+g*p((L-y)/L) where p=delta1/delta2

i am not getting the solution that my professor gave?...can somebody explain where the cubed part came from?

Physics news on Phys.org
yoyo said:
I am trying to derive an equation for the oscillation of a conical float. There is a conical float with a density of delta 2 and its floating on water with density 1. Find the oscillation of the floating conical float. The final solution should be:
d^2y/dt^2=-g+(g((L-y)/L)^3)/p

where y(t) is the height of the conical float over the water, L is the length of the conical float,g is gravity and p is the ratio of the two density delta1/delta2

what i did was i found the submerge volume: (1/3)r^2(L-y)

then the weight of water displaced by the float is:
(1/3)r^2(L-y)*delta2*g

use delta1 instead of delta2.

mass of float m=(1/3)r^2(L)*delta2

You can not use the same r for both parts. If R is the radius of the base of the whole conus and r is the same for the submerged part, r/R=(L-y)/L

ehild

You would need at least to show that

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = ky[/tex]

Also I believe you have to clarify whether the cone is upside down, or with the base down.

Related to How to Derive the Oscillation Equation for a Conical Float?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to derive differential equations?

Deriving differential equations is important because it allows us to understand the underlying principles and relationships between different variables in a system. This can help us make predictions and solve problems in a variety of scientific and engineering fields.

3. What are the different methods of deriving a differential equation?

The two main methods of deriving a differential equation are the analytical method and the numerical method. The analytical method involves using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and integration to derive an equation. The numerical method involves using computational techniques to approximate and solve a differential equation.

4. How do you solve a derived differential equation?

Solving a derived differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using a specific solution formula. The solution to a differential equation is not always unique and may require additional boundary conditions to determine the specific function.

5. What are some real-world applications of derived differential equations?

Derived differential equations have numerous real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, analyzing electrical circuits, and simulating physical systems. They are also used in fields like economics, biology, and chemistry to study and understand complex systems.