How to derive the surface area of a sphere?

In summary, the surface area of a sphere can be derived by using the formula A = 4πr², where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula can also be derived by breaking down the surface of the sphere into infinitesimally small flat surfaces, calculating their areas, and then adding them all together. Additionally, the surface area of a sphere can also be found by using calculus and integrating the circumference of a circle over the entire surface of the sphere. Whichever method is used, the surface area of a sphere can be easily calculated with the proper formula and understanding of the sphere's geometry.
mesa
Gold Member
So, I have been trying to figure out how to derive the equation for the surface area of a sphere. All attempts have resulted in colossal failure and as such are not even worth posting on the forum.

I know Archimedes was the first to come up with the formula but I have not been able to find something on the web that goes into a detailed proof that is understandable. There are of course several sites that detail a circumscribed sphere in a cylinder of height equal to twice the radius of the sphere and how it has the same surface area (not including end caps) but how was that connection made?

I am interested in any solutions (*EDIT* - no calculus) not just that of Archimedes.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you ok with a calculus proof? Consider a spherical surface and take any ring cross section of the sphere that has infinitesimal height along the sphere. Let ##R## be the radius of the sphere then the radius of this ring will be ##R\sin\theta## where ##\theta## is the angle made with respect to the vertical (##\theta \in [0,\pi]## as you can see). Also note that the infinitesimal height of the ring will be given by ##Rd\theta## so the surface area of the ring will be ##dA = 2\pi R^{2}\sin\theta d\theta## (circumference times height). The entire sphere is built up from all such rings so the surface area of the sphere will be ##A = 2\pi R^{2}\int _{0}^{\pi}\sin\theta d\theta = 2\pi R^{2}cos\theta|_{\pi}^{0} = 4\pi R^{2}##.

I don't know how Archimedes proved it, but luckily we have more advanced mathematical tools available today, and you did say you are OK with any proofs:

Let S be the surface of a sphere of radius r.

[tex]A =\iint_S \mathrm{d}A=\intop_0^{2\pi}\intop_0^{\pi} r^2\sin\theta\mathrm{d}\varphi\mathrm{d}\theta=r^2\intop_0^\pi \sin\theta\intop_0^{2\pi}\mathrm{d}\varphi\mathrm{d}\theta[/tex]
[tex]=r^2\cdot 2\pi\intop_0^\pi \sin\theta \mathrm{d}\theta=r^2\cdot 2\pi\cdot(\cos 0-\cos\pi)=4\pi r^2[/tex]

If Archimedes did indeed come up with the formula, there's bound to be a geometrical argument to it, but this is the simplest, although maybe not the most intuitive proof, especially so if you're not familiar with calculus.

EDIT: Argh, what's up with me being ninja'd constantly? Can't I get a notification when somebody posts into a thread before I do :cry:

WannabeNewton said:
Are you ok with a calculus proof?

DeIdeal said:
I don't know how Archimedes proved it, but luckily we have more advanced mathematical tools available today, and you did say you are OK with any proofs:

Calculus does a fine job of getting a solution but we are in the general math section (although my post did say "any" solutions so I apologize for the confusion).

Any ideas?

Hm. This might seem a bit circular, but if you accept the volume of a sphere as known, another non-rigorous way of showing it is as follows:

Consider a thin spherical shell of thickness a and outer radius r, so that the volume of the shell is [itex]V_S=V_r-V_a=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 - \frac{4}{3}\pi(r-a)^3[/itex]. Expanding the second term and cancelling one term it becomes [itex]V_S=4\pi a(r^2-ra+\frac{1}{3}a^2)[/itex]. The thickness of the shell is a, so its area is [itex]A=V_S/a=4\pi(r^2-ra+\frac{1}{3}a^2)[/itex]. When we want to find out the area of a sphere instead of the shell, a is considered to be very small so that [itex]A\rightarrow 4\pi(r^2+0)=4\pi r^2[/itex].

EDIT: But again, this is a very heuristic proof. In addition to the previous links, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalieri's_principle]this[/PLAIN] seems to have some information about it, but like it says on the page, "Today Cavalieri's principle is seen as an early step towards integral calculus", so at least in some way that's still what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Better version of google? I'm not sure what you mean; are you talking about iGoogle? I added another link by the way.

WannabeNewton said:
Better version of google? I'm not sure what you mean; are you talking about iGoogle? I added another link by the way.

Sorry WannabeNewton, I did not mean to be taken literally.

Google yielded me essentially nothing over the last couple hours and you came back with two solutions in a few minutes hence the 'better version of Google'.

Ooooh ok lol; I should apologize because it was I who didn't interpret your sentence correctly. My first instinct is to usually check math.stackexchange is all; you can keep that in mind if you want as it might come in handy later who knows :)

DeIdeal said:
Hm. This might seem a bit circular, but if you accept the volume of a sphere as known, another non-rigorous way of showing it is as follows:

Consider a thin spherical shell of thickness a and outer radius r, so that the volume of the shell is [itex]V_S=V_r-V_a=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 - \frac{4}{3}\pi(r-a)^3[/itex]. Expanding the second term and cancelling one term it becomes [itex]V_S=4\pi a(r^2-ra+\frac{1}{3}a^2)[/itex]. The thickness of the shell is a, so its area is [itex]A=V_S/a=4\pi(r^2-ra+\frac{1}{3}a^2)[/itex]. When we want to find out the area of a sphere instead of the shell, a is considered to be very small so that [itex]A\rightarrow 4\pi(r^2+0)=4\pi r^2[/itex].

EDIT: But again, this is a very heuristic proof. In addition to the previous links, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalieri's_principle]this[/PLAIN] seems to have some information about it, but like it says on the page, "Today Cavalieri's principle is seen as an early step towards integral calculus", so at least in some way that's still what's going on.

Well it is still very clever. Thanks for the post!

Last edited by a moderator:
WannabeNewton said:
Ooooh ok lol; I should apologize because it was I who didn't interpret your sentence correctly. My first instinct is to usually check math.stackexchange is all; you can keep that in mind if you want as it might come in handy later who knows :)

This is the first time seeing that site, might be a late night tonight, ha ha ha!

I like the purely geometric proofs too, more so than the calculus proofs, but they are not as simple/short in nature (but more minimalist in a sense). It wouldn't hurt to get used to the calculus based proofs though because IIRC you are also doing electrodynamics so the "building up infinitesimals" argument will show up over and over.

WannabeNewton said:
I like the purely geometric proofs too, more so than the calculus proofs, but they are not as simple/short in nature (but more minimalist in a sense). It wouldn't hurt to get used to the calculus based proofs though because IIRC you are also doing electrodynamics so the "building up infinitesimals" argument will show up over and over.

I love them both too. As a parent I realized we shouldn't pick favorites but geometry is tough to beat although Calculus can be so damn powerful...

In the book: "The Works of Archimedes", Chapter: "On the Sphere and Cylinder I" Proposition 33 is a proof of contradiction based on the previous propositions dealing with circumscribed and inscribed polyhedra surfaces. Archimedes did his Pi approximations the same way with polygons and the circle. A sort of geometry Calculus.

coolul007 said:
In the book: "The Works of Archimedes", Chapter: "On the Sphere and Cylinder I" Proposition 33 is a proof of contradiction based on the previous propositions dealing with circumscribed and inscribed polyhedra surfaces. Archimedes did his Pi approximations the same way with polygons and the circle. A sort of geometry Calculus.

Unfortunately neither I nor my local library has that book. Can you send me a copy of his proof or perhaps your interpretation of it?

mesa said:
Unfortunately neither I nor my local library has that book. Can you send me a copy of his proof or perhaps your interpretation of it?

I will try to scan the chapter, it requires previous methods. I'm out of town so it will be about a week or so.

coolul007 said:
I will try to scan the chapter, it requires previous methods. I'm out of town so it will be about a week or so.

Wonderful, I look forward to it.

gerben said:
You can download a scanned PDF version (or versions in other formats) here:
http://archive.org/details/worksofarchimede00arch

In the PDF version the chapter "On the Sphere and Cylinder I" starts at page 193.

Hah, I missed your post while responding to coolul007, thanks for the link!

coolul007, you are 'off the hook' as they say!

By the Pappus centroid theorem we have.

A=length half circle * circumference of circle with centroid radius
$$= (\pi r )(2 \pi \bar{r})=(\pi r )(2 \pi \cdot 2r / \pi)=4 \pi r^2$$

The idea is that due to the rotational symmetry we can mush the sphere in such a way that the surface area is unchanged.

Likes 1 person

Related to How to derive the surface area of a sphere?

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere is 4πr², where r is the radius of the sphere.

How do you derive the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere can be derived by imagining the sphere as a stack of infinitely thin circular disks with varying radii. By finding the area of each disk and then adding them together, we can get the formula 4πr².

Why is the surface area of a sphere important in math and science?

The surface area of a sphere is important in math and science because it is used in many calculations and equations, such as determining the volume of a sphere or calculating the amount of material needed to cover a spherical object.

How do you find the surface area of a sphere with a given radius?

To find the surface area of a sphere with a given radius, simply plug the radius value into the formula 4πr² and solve for the surface area.

Can you use the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere for other three-dimensional objects?

No, the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere is specifically for spheres and cannot be applied to other three-dimensional objects. Each shape has its own unique formula for finding its surface area.

Back