How to Derive the Tensor Field U_{acbd} from T_{ab} in Wald's Problem?

• Thread starter tommyj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving Problem 5 in Chapter 4, which involves finding a tensor field with certain symmetries related to a symmetric, conserved field in Minkowski spacetime. A hint is given by Wald, which uses a vector field and a tensor field to derive the desired result. There is a question about the placement of indices in the final answer, but it is clarified that both answers are equivalent.
tommyj
This question has been asked two years ago, but it wasn't resolved (I think). Here goes

This problem is Problem 5 in Chapter 4. It is that [itex]T_{ab}[/itex] is a symmetric, conserved field ([itex]T_{ab}=T_{ba}, \partial ^aT_{ab}=0[/itex]) in Minkowski spacetime. Show that there is a tensor field [itex]U_{acbd}[/itex] with the symmetries [itex]U_{acbd}=U_{[ac]bd}=U_{ac[bd]}=U_{bdac}[/itex] such that [itex]T_{ab}=\partial^c\partial^dT_{acbd}[/itex].

Wald gave a hint: For any vector field [itex]v^a[/itex] in Minkowski spacetime satisfying [itex]\partial_av^a=0[/itex] there is a tensor field [itex]s^{ab}=-s^{ba}[/itex] such that [itex]v^a=\partial_bs^{ab}[/itex]. Use this fact to show that [itex]T_{ab}=\partial^cW_{cab}[/itex] with [itex]W_{cab}=W_{[ca]b}[/itex]. The use the fact that [itex]\partial^cW_{c[ab]}=0[/itex] to derive the desired result.

I have an idea what to do but I've been thinking I'm not sure where to place the indices, so if someone could help me with that, it would be great.

We start with the vector field [itex]T^{a\mu}[/itex] then [itex]\partial aT^{a\mu}=0[/itex] so by the hint we have [itex]T^{a\mu}=\partial cW^{ac\mu}[/itex] with [itex]W^{ac\mu}=-W^{ca\mu}[/itex]. Is this correct? if so, why is it like this and not [itex]W^{a\mu c}[/itex] with [itex]W^{a\mu c}=-W^{c\mu a}[/itex] in the above?

any help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
tommyj said:
I have an idea what to do but I've been thinking I'm not sure where to place the indices, so if someone could help me with that, it would be great.

We start with the vector field [itex]T^{a\mu}[/itex] then [itex]\partial aT^{a\mu}=0[/itex] so by the hint we have [itex]T^{a\mu}=\partial cW^{ac\mu}[/itex] with [itex]W^{ac\mu}=-W^{ca\mu}[/itex]. Is this correct? if so, why is it like this and not [itex]W^{a\mu c}[/itex] with [itex]W^{a\mu c}=-W^{c\mu a}[/itex] in the above?
The two answers are equivalent. Let the first answer given be W1acμ. The second answer is W2aμc ≡ W1acμ. There's no law that tells you where to put the indices, you just need a rank 3 tensor that's antisymmetric on a and c.

Related to How to Derive the Tensor Field U_{acbd} from T_{ab} in Wald's Problem?

1. What is Wald's Problem 5 in Chapter 4?

Wald's Problem 5 is a statistical problem that involves determining the probability of a certain number of successes occurring in a sequence of independent trials.

2. What is the significance of Wald's Problem 5?

Wald's Problem 5 is significant because it is a fundamental problem in statistics and has applications in various fields such as economics, biology, and engineering. It also has important implications for decision-making and risk analysis.

3. What is the solution to Wald's Problem 5?

The solution to Wald's Problem 5 involves using the binomial distribution to calculate the probability of a specific number of successes in a given number of trials. This can be done using a formula or by using statistical software.

4. How is Wald's Problem 5 related to other statistical problems?

Wald's Problem 5 is closely related to other statistical problems such as the binomial distribution, the Poisson distribution, and the normal distribution. It also has connections to hypothesis testing and confidence intervals.

5. What are some real-world applications of Wald's Problem 5?

Wald's Problem 5 has many practical applications, including estimating the success rate of a new medication in clinical trials, predicting the number of defects in a production line, and calculating the probability of a certain number of accidents occurring in a given time period.