How to Design a Series Resonant Circuit with a Bandwidth of 500Hz?

In summary, the user is asking for help in designing a series resonant circuit with a 120v constant supply and a 50nF capacitor to achieve a bandwidth of 500Hz. They have looked through the formulas for RLC series but cannot find a way to produce the desired circuit. They are wondering if there is any missing information, as the circuit needs either an inductor or resistance to work.
ErnieChicken
Hi Guys,

I usually don't come on forums to ask for any issues but i am stuck.

I have been given these details:
  1. A 120v Constant supply at all Frequencies
  2. 50nF capacitor
With these components i am supposed to design a series resonant circuit which will achieve a bandwidth of 500Hz. 500Hz is the significant value i have been told to look at.

I have been looking through the formulas for RLC Series and i cannot seem to find a way of produce a circuit with those details.

Am i missing something or is it possible to do?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
AlexJ said:
Hi Guys,

I usually don't come on forums to ask for any issues but i am stuck.

I have been given these details:
  1. A 120v Constant supply at all Frequencies
  2. 50nF capacitor
With these components i am supposed to design a series resonant circuit which will achieve a bandwidth of 500Hz. 500Hz is the significant value i have been told to look at.

I have been looking through the formulas for RLC Series and i cannot seem to find a way of produce a circuit with those details.

Am i missing something or is it possible to do?

Thanks
It looks as if some item of information is missing. Is there mention of the resistance or anything else?

Hi tech,

thanks for the reply. The only other information is it can be easily modified to 200Hz and that is all.

To me this seems the case that there is information missing since in a series resonant circuit you need either and L or R to get started working back through the bandwidth where as the parallel you can utilise the capacitor.

Thanks q

Related to How to Design a Series Resonant Circuit with a Bandwidth of 500Hz?

What is a series resonant circuit?

A series resonant circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor, an inductor, and a capacitor connected in series. It is also known as an LC circuit or a tank circuit.

What is resonance in a series resonant circuit?

Resonance in a series resonant circuit occurs when the reactive components, such as the inductor and capacitor, cancel each other out, leaving only the resistance. This results in a sharp peak in the voltage and current at a specific frequency.

What is the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of a series resonant circuit?

The resonant frequency of a series resonant circuit can be calculated using the formula fr = 1/2π√(LC), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

What is the Q factor of a series resonant circuit?

The Q factor of a series resonant circuit is a measure of its efficiency and is defined as the ratio of the energy stored in the circuit to the energy dissipated in the circuit per cycle. It can be calculated using the formula Q = XL/R, where XL is the inductive reactance and R is the resistance.

What are the applications of series resonant circuits?

Series resonant circuits have many practical applications, such as in radio and television receivers, tuning circuits, and bandpass filters. They are also used in electronic oscillators and amplifiers.