How to Design an Innovative Steering System for a Vehicle?

In summary: Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind!Ha! That was pretty interesting... :smile: Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind!In summary, the designer is looking for ideas on a different type of steering system for a vehicle they are designing. They are looking for suggestions from others on what system might work best. They are also considering systems that are new or different from what is currently available.
Certainty
Good day People, I require some assist in designing steering system for a vehicle I'm designing

I'm trying to upload an idea of what I'm referring too, but Site only allow 300kb and the file is 573kb

Any steering ideas out there, that is different from Go kart, Cars, vans etc.

In wheel Steering system is a nice approach

Engineering news on Phys.org
Certainty said:
Good day People, I require some assist in designing steering system for a vehicle I'm designing

I'm trying to upload an idea of what I'm referring too, but Site only allow 300kb and the file is 573kb

Any steering ideas out there, that is different from Go kart, Cars, vans etc.

In wheel Steering system is a nice approach

Sounds like a school assignment, so you will need to show us your work first before we can offer ideas. What is the exact project/assignment statement?

Well... what School assignment? It is not I'm not even in school... I'm a designer... Anywho If you have read with understand, I said the site wouldn't allow me up upload the idea I'm going for, Its 573kb, the site allows 300kb, but you can throw some ideas out there doesn't necessarily needs a foundation

Certainty said:
Well... what School assignment? It is not I'm not even in school... I'm a designer... Anywho If you have read with understand, I said the site wouldn't allow me up upload the idea I'm going for, Its 573kb, the site allows 300kb, but you can throw some ideas out there doesn't necessarily needs a foundation

What format it is? Is a JPG version any smaller?

I made it in paint. Is there any other way I can make it smaller.

Certainty said:
I made it in paint. Is there any other way I can make it smaller.

Yes. If you saved it as a *.BMP, just re-open it and save it as a *.JPG -- that will compress it a lot.

Thank you and here it is

Attachments

• Steering.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 508
this is a better picture

Attachments

• camups v2.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 457
It's all going to depend on what kind of vehicle it is and how big, but I personally don't think your posted idea is a very good one. For a "small-ish" vehicle (a.k.a. robot) the simplest way would be to drive each wheel with a motor and reverse the direction on one side to turn. For a more go-kart-sized vehicle, what's wrong with plain ol' rack & pinion or knuckle-based steering linkage?

Its not moving forward :P Its old and needs to be refine, I understand the Robotics with 1 wheel stop 1 move but that's not feasible in the streets nor in a urban area

Certainty said:
Its not moving forward :P Its old and needs to be refine, I understand the Robotics with 1 wheel stop 1 move but that's not feasible in the streets nor in a urban area

What other new vehicle systems have you looked at? Have you looked at the latest NASA rover designs? How about the goofy 3-wheeled motorcycles that are showing up lately (2 wheels in front)? Maybe there are some good search terms for Google Images to show some recent innovative steering and propulsion systems for wheeled vehicles...

berkeman said:
Maybe there are some good search terms for Google Images to show some recent innovative steering and propulsion systems for wheeled vehicles...

Ha! That was pretty interesting... :smile:

Related to How to Design an Innovative Steering System for a Vehicle?

What is a "New Approach in steering mechs"?

A "New Approach in steering mechs" refers to a new method or technique used in designing and controlling steering mechanisms for vehicles or machines. It involves using advanced technology and innovative ideas to improve the efficiency, safety, and performance of steering systems.

What are some advantages of using a new approach in steering mechs?

Some advantages of using a new approach in steering mechs include improved precision and accuracy in steering, enhanced control and stability of vehicles, reduced energy consumption and maintenance costs, and increased safety for drivers and passengers.

How does a new approach in steering mechs differ from traditional steering systems?

A new approach in steering mechs differs from traditional steering systems in that it incorporates modern technologies such as electronic sensors, computer algorithms, and artificial intelligence to control and adjust the steering mechanism. This allows for more efficient and precise steering compared to manual or hydraulic systems.

What types of vehicles or machines can benefit from a new approach in steering mechs?

A new approach in steering mechs can benefit a wide range of vehicles and machines, including cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, agricultural and construction equipment, and even boats and aircraft. Any vehicle or machine that requires steering can potentially benefit from this new approach.

What are some potential future developments in the field of steering mechs?

Some potential future developments in the field of steering mechs include the use of fully automated steering systems, integration with other advanced driver assistance systems, and the development of new materials and designs for steering components to further improve efficiency and performance. There is also ongoing research in the use of alternative energy sources for powering steering systems, such as electric or hybrid systems.