How to Determine and Visualize Integration Limits in 3D Surfaces?

In summary, to find the volume below z = 3 - 2y and above z = x^2 + y^2, set the two equations equal to each other and plot the resulting xy equation in the xy plane to determine the limits of integration. If there is difficulty visualizing the 3-dimensional representation, drawing a picture of the surface can help identify the shapes of a paraboloid and a plane.
BrownianMan
Find the volume lying below z = 3 - 2y and above z = x^2 + y^2.

How would I go about finding the limits of integration for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Set the z's equal and plot the resulting xy equation in the xy plane to figure out the limits.

Thanks.

What if the question did not specify that z = 3 - 2y was above z = x^2 + y^2? How would I determine that it was in fact above it? I'm having some trouble visualizing all of this in 3 dimensions.

BrownianMan said:
Thanks.

What if the question did not specify that z = 3 - 2y was above z = x^2 + y^2? How would I determine that it was in fact above it? I'm having some trouble visualizing all of this in 3 dimensions.

The usual way to help visualize things like this is to draw a picture of the surface. You should be able to recognize one as a paraboloid and the other a plane.

Related to How to Determine and Visualize Integration Limits in 3D Surfaces?

What is a triple integration problem?

A triple integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional figure by using three consecutive integrals.

Why are triple integration problems difficult?

Triple integration problems can be difficult because they require a good understanding of calculus and the ability to visualize and manipulate three-dimensional objects. They also involve multiple steps and can be time-consuming to solve.

What are some real-world applications of triple integration?

Triple integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, the mass of a three-dimensional object, or the center of mass of a three-dimensional object.

What are some tips for solving triple integration problems?

Some tips for solving triple integration problems include breaking the problem into smaller parts, carefully choosing the order of integration, and using symmetry or other properties to simplify the problem. It is also important to carefully track the bounds of integration and use appropriate substitutions if necessary.

Are there any tools or resources that can help with triple integration problems?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can help with solving triple integration problems. Additionally, textbooks, tutorials, and practice problems can also be useful resources for understanding and solving these types of problems.