How to determine angle of net force-electric charges of right triangle

In summary, the homework statement is that the attempt at a solution to the homework equation is to find the reference pt using the vector form of Coulombs law and the signs of the charges."
Coco12

Homework Statement

The .274 and .88 was found using the equation of electrostatic force .

Homework Equations

K=q1q2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I just tan inverse of .274N and .88N which would be 17 degrees. However my question is: how to determine the reference pt: would it just be 17 degrees or 180-17 degrees?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,241
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the force vectors tip-to-tail and it should be clearer.

It would be in the first quadrant so would it be 90 minus 17 or??

It doesn't really matter as long as you're clear. State "x degrees clockwise from BA axis" or "y degrees counter clockwise from BC"

Is this a foolproof way? Look at the signs of the y value and the x value when you and that should tell you in what quadrant?

I'm not sure what you're asking, if you use the vector form of Coulombs Law and keep the signs in on the charges then you get the magnitude of the resultant force as well as the direction (assuming you have defined an x and y axis). If you haven't been introduced to the vector form of the equation then what you have done is fine.

BOYLANATOR said:
I'm not sure what you're asking, if you use the vector form of Coulombs Law and keep the signs in on the charges then you get the magnitude of the resultant force as well as the direction (assuming you have defined an x and y axis). If you haven't been introduced to the vector form of the equation then what you have done is fine.

I mean like since the signs of both the charges are positive and since tan is opposite over adjacent ( .274/ .88) that would mean it is in the first quadrant since both the x and y values are the same

Yes but remember there are two solutions to tan(positive number) - the first quadrant and the third. The charge of the test particle tells you which one it is.

Last edited:
BOYLANATOR said:
Yes but remember there are two solutions to arctan(positive number) - the first quadrant and the third. The charge of the test particle tells you which one it is.

What do u mean by that?

I made an edit above. The force on q1 due to q2 is given by Coulombs law and for two like charges the direction of the force on q1 is in the direction of q2 to q1, i.e. repulsive. If you keep everything as vectors the right direction pops out of the equation.

Using the non-directional F = [itex]\frac{q1 q2}{k r^{2}}[/itex] you need to consider the geometry of the set up. No direction will pop-out.

Related to How to determine angle of net force-electric charges of right triangle

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it.

How do you determine the angle of net force in a right triangle?

To determine the angle of net force in a right triangle, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. By knowing the magnitudes of the individual forces and the direction of the net force, you can use these functions to calculate the angle.

What is the relationship between electric charges and net force?

Electric charges can either attract or repel each other, depending on their charges. The net force between two electric charges is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

Can the angle of net force between two electric charges in a right triangle be negative?

Yes, the angle of net force can be negative in a right triangle. This means that the net force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the coordinate plane.

How can determining the angle of net force be useful in scientific experiments?

Determining the angle of net force can help scientists understand the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on an object. This information can be used to predict the motion of the object and make accurate calculations in experiments.