How to Determine Current Flow in a Circuit with a Shorted Voltage Source?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the Thevenin equivalent resistance in a circuit with a short circuit instead of a voltage source. The discussion includes redrawing the circuit diagram, calculating the equivalent resistance, considering the effect of the short circuit, and using a small current source to trace the current path. The final goal is to finish the final chapter for an upcoming midterm.
bigu01
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386493104.979236.jpg
i am confused at the 20v voltage since it becomes short circuit.i had started reading the circuit from the left side 1M ohm and 2k ohm are in parallel and in series with the 3k.knowing that current wants less resistant ways it will go to the killed voltage source...after that I am wasnt able to decide in what way the current will go

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing as you suggested i am getting Rt(thevenin equivalent resistance) as 4.2k ohms while book solution is 4.0k and i haven't done any calculation error.at least I think I haven't.

I get 4.0k - please show your working and describe your reasoning.
i.e. which resistors are left and what is the circuit?

Likes 1 person
Is the eq res. of 1M and 2k parallel to 3k? If yes can you please tell me why?because calculating it as parallel i got the result right

The 1M, 2k and 3k are, indeed, parallel.
But they are also disconnected from the rest of the circuit by the short.
Even if you did include it, you would not get exactly 4.0k. Be careful about rounding off too soon.

Actually physically draw the circuit (without the load) with the short in place of the 20V source.
If you put an ohmmeter between a and b, what would it read?

Likes 1 person
Well if i calculate only the right side of the circuit I'm getting 4.4 considering the two 6k's are in series then in parallel with 3k then in series with 2k.

One of the 6k resistors is in parallel with a short circuit though.

Likes 1 person
So i should ignore every resistance affiliated with the short circuit,draw the circuit with only three resistances(6k in parallel with 3k then in series with 2k) and get 4.0k

You technically use all the resistances - but you have to include the effect of the short circuit.
The effect of the short is to give a large chunk of the circuit an equivalent resistance of zero.

That leaves only the three by the terminals having any effect on the resistance seen at the terminals.

Sometimes it helps to see which resistors have any effect if you imagine you replace the load with a small current source and trace where the current would go. All the resistors the current pass through are the ones that you use.

FAQ: How to Determine Current Flow in a Circuit with a Shorted Voltage Source?

1. What is Thevenin equivalent resistance?

Thevenin equivalent resistance is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit, which can be used to analyze the behavior of the circuit and calculate the output voltage or current. It is determined by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit as seen from two terminals, known as the Thevenin voltage and Thevenin resistance.

2. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent resistance?

To find the Thevenin equivalent resistance, you must first remove the load from the circuit and calculate the open circuit voltage, Vth, at the load terminals. Then, find the equivalent resistance, Rth, by shorting all voltage sources and removing all current sources from the circuit. The Thevenin equivalent resistance is equal to the ratio of Vth to Rth.

3. What is the significance of Thevenin equivalent resistance?

Thevenin equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze their behavior without considering the internal details of the circuit. This makes circuit analysis easier and more efficient. The Thevenin equivalent resistance also helps in determining the maximum power that can be delivered to the load.

4. Can Thevenin equivalent resistance be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, Thevenin equivalent resistance can be used for any type of linear circuit, which is a circuit that follows Ohm's law. This includes both DC and AC circuits, as well as circuits with resistors, capacitors, and inductors. However, it cannot be applied to non-linear circuits, such as circuits with diodes or transistors.

5. How accurate is the Thevenin equivalent resistance?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance is an approximation of the behavior of a complex circuit, so it may not be completely accurate. However, it is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of a circuit and can provide reasonably accurate results in most cases. The accuracy of the Thevenin equivalent resistance also depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the assumptions made during the calculation.