How to Determine Neutrino Energy in Pion Decay?

I fixed it above. In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of pions and the resulting energy of neutrinos in both the rest frame of the pion and the laboratory frame. The maximum energy of the neutrinos in the laboratory frame can be calculated using the Lorentz transform and the energy of the pion. A mistake was made in the LT matrix, but once corrected, the correct result was obtained.
XCBRA

Homework Statement

Pions can decay via the reaction π+ → μ+ νμ. Show that the energy of the neu- trino in the rest frame of the pion is given by

[tex] E_v = \frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{2m_∏} [/tex]

Pions with energy Eπ in the laboratory frame (Eπ >> mπc2) decay via the above reaction. Show that the maximum energy of the neutrinos in the laboratory frame is given by

[tex] E^{max}_v = E_∏\frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{m^2_∏} c^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transform

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}E'\\p'c\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\gamma&\beta\gamma\\-\beta\gamma&\gamma\end{array}\right) * \left(\begin{array}{cc}E\\pc\end{array}\right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to get the first result, the problem I am having is changing frames from the first result to the second result. I take the first result and use the Lorentz transform ont he energy, where prime denotes the lab frame and unprimed is the rest frame of the pion.
this give me:

[tex] E_v' = \frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{2m_∏} \gamma(1-\beta) c^2 [/tex]

i then use the fact that E'_∏ = gamma mc^2 to find gamma, giving me:

[tex] E_v' = \frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{2m^2_∏} E_∏(1-\beta) c^2 [/tex]

However I have done something wrong as this means I need beta =-1 to give me the right result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done something wrong with your LT matrix. Both [itex]\beta \gamma[/itex] terms should have the same sign.

Ahh yes, however that was only a mistake I made when typing the problem up to pf, my calculations had both with the -ve sign to get the result below it.

Related to How to Determine Neutrino Energy in Pion Decay?

1. What is the relativistic decay of a particle?

The relativistic decay of a particle refers to the process by which a high-energy particle decays into smaller particles, following the principles of special relativity. This process is governed by the laws of conservation of energy, momentum, and mass.

2. How does the speed of a particle affect its decay rate?

According to special relativity, the speed of a particle affects its decay rate by slowing down the time experienced by the particle. As the particle approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, causing the decay to take longer from the perspective of an observer at rest.

3. Can a particle decay into different types of particles?

Yes, a particle can decay into different types of particles, depending on its energy and the laws of conservation. For example, a high-energy particle can decay into multiple smaller particles or even into antiparticles.

4. What is the half-life of a particle undergoing relativistic decay?

The half-life of a particle undergoing relativistic decay is the time it takes for half of the particles to decay. This time can vary depending on the energy and type of particle, but it follows the same principles of half-life as non-relativistic decay processes.

5. How does the relativistic decay of a particle impact the study of particle physics?

The relativistic decay of particles is a fundamental aspect of particle physics and is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. It allows scientists to study the fundamental forces and interactions of particles at high energies, leading to advancements in our understanding of the universe.