How to Determine Parameters for a Gaussian Wave Pulse on a String?

In summary, the problem involves a long horizontal string attached to a wall and a mass M. The total mass of the string is M/100 and a Gaussian wave pulse takes 0.12 s to travel from one end of the string to the other. The equation for the displacement of the string as a function of position and time is Y = Aexp(-(x-vt)^2/a). However, the parameters A and a are not given and it is unclear how to find them. The speed of the wave can be found using the tension and mass/length, but without knowing the width of the Gaussian, it is difficult to accurately calculate the parameters. As long as the width is much smaller than the length of the string, the
thatguy14

Homework Statement

One end of a long horizontal string is attached to a wall, and the other end is passed over a pulley and attached to a mass M. The total mass of the string is M/100. A Gaussian wave pulse takes 0.12 s to travel from one end of the string to the other.

Write down the equation for the displacement of
the string as a function of position and time.

Homework Equations

Y = Aexp(-(x-vt)^2/a) - equation of Gaussian waveform

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi I am actually totally lost on how to find the parameters A and a. Find v is pretty easy using the tension and mass/length and speed. I have no clue where to start on finding A and a.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. that's strange. So they did not give you 'a' ? I don't think you can calculate the width of the Gaussian, if they do not give it to you. I mean, the width could take on any value. Also, it's not a true Gaussian wave pulse, because it does not extend to ##\pm \infty## (since there are boundaries). But I guess as long as the width of the Gaussian is a lot smaller than the length of the string, then it will look roughly like a Gaussian wave pulse.

Related to How to Determine Parameters for a Gaussian Wave Pulse on a String?

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound, light, and electromagnetic waves. It relates the properties of the wave, such as its wavelength and frequency, to its propagation speed and direction.

2. How is the wave equation determined?

The wave equation is determined through a combination of experimental observations and mathematical equations. Scientists use experiments and data to derive equations that accurately describe the behavior of waves in different mediums.

3. What are the variables in the wave equation?

The variables in the wave equation depend on the type of wave being studied, but they typically include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and propagation speed. These variables can be measured and manipulated to understand and predict the behavior of waves.

4. Can the wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to all types of waves, including mechanical, electromagnetic, and quantum waves. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the properties of the wave being studied.

5. Why is the wave equation important?

The wave equation is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of waves in different mediums. It is also the basis for many technologies, such as wireless communication and medical imaging, that rely on the properties of waves.