How to determine resonance of an open or closed pipe?

In summary: Resonance_of_winds_instrumentsIn summary, the pipe resonates at successive frequencies of 540 Hz, 450 Hz, and 350 Hz. The difference between the first two frequencies is 90 Hz and the difference between the last two frequencies is 100 Hz. However, it is difficult to determine the solution without knowing the temperature and applying the equations L = (nλ)/2 or L = ((2n-1)/4)λ and v = fλ. Additionally, the difference between an open and closed pipe can be determined by the boundary conditions, with an open pipe having resonance for any wave with an integer number of half waves plus a quarter wave, and a closed pipe having resonance for any sound wave with
kariibex

Homework Statement

A pipe resonates at successive frequencies of 540 Hz, 450 Hz, and 350Hz. Is this an open or a closed pipe?

Homework Equations

L = (nλ)/2 or L = ((2n-1)/4)λ
v = fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

The difference between the first two frequencies (540 & 450) is 90Hz, and the difference between the last two frequencies (450 & 350) is 100Hz.
I have no idea as to how to solve this equation. I tried asking my physics teacher, and we could not come up with an answer, but I am still curious about the solution.
No temperature is given, therefore I cannot determine the speed of sound and rearrange for lambda. Unless I assume that the temperature is room temperature.
I also don't understand how to determine the difference between an open & closed pipe since the equation: L = (nλ)/2 is applicable to both open-open & closed-closed pipes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I agree that the three frequencies and your equations taken together are puzzling. Perhaps there is a typo somewhere or something has slipped out?

Regarding the different relationship between pipe length and resonance frequency for open and closed pipes, you can understand it as a result coming from the different boundary conditions in the two cases. For a closed pipe there can be no air flow across the end thus giving resonance to any sound wave with an integer number of half waves. For an open pipe there can be no (or only very small) pressure difference across the end thus giving resonance to any wave with an integer number of half waves plus a quarter wave. See [1] for some illustrative diagrams of this.

If we look at just the two lowest frequencies then if a pipe resonates at 350 Hz and the next resonance is at 450 Hz you can write this as fn = 350 Hz and fn+1 = 450 Hz, where n is unknown. Using the relationship between pipe length and frequency for either an open or a closed pipe you should now be able to solve and find an expression for n in the two cases. For instance, for an open pipe the pipe length is given as

L = (n/2)(v/fn) = ((n+1)/2)(v/fn+1)
Can you determine whether the pipe is open or closed from the value of n in this case? What condition must n satisfy?

Repeating this exercise for the frequencies 450 Hz and 540 Hz should ideally give same result (open or closed) as for 350 Hz and 450 Hz, but for your numbers it gives the opposite which of course is puzzling.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance

Related to How to determine resonance of an open or closed pipe?

1. How do I know if a pipe is open or closed?

In order to determine if a pipe is open or closed, you can visually inspect it. An open pipe will have both ends exposed, while a closed pipe will have one end sealed or covered.

2. What is the definition of resonance in a pipe?

Resonance in a pipe refers to the natural frequency at which the air inside the pipe vibrates. This occurs when the wavelength of sound produced by the vibrating air matches the length of the pipe.

3. How do you determine the length of a pipe for resonance?

The length of a pipe for resonance can be determined by measuring the distance between the two ends of the pipe. This will be the distance that the sound wave will travel before reflecting off the closed end and back to the open end.

4. What factors affect the resonance of a pipe?

The resonance of a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pipe, the temperature of the air inside the pipe, and the material of the pipe. These factors can change the speed of sound and therefore affect the natural frequency of the pipe.

5. How can I use resonance to tune a musical instrument?

Resonance can be used to tune a musical instrument by adjusting the length of the pipe. By changing the length, you can change the natural frequency of the pipe and produce different musical notes. This is the principle behind instruments such as flutes and clarinets.