How to determine side load for 4x4 metal pole?

In summary: For more information on steel tube grades, please see this website.In summary, the 4x4 square tube is not a good option for this application. The thicker sidewalls like 3/8" and 1/2" increase the cost and weight, and the deflection could cause fatigue over time. A safety factor of 7.88 should be good, but 10 would be even better.
bobca1
I need to be able to support a variable side load up to a maximum of about 250lbs at 10' high. I am planning on using a 14' 4x4 steel pole that will be anchored 4ft in the ground (with concrete).
Question I have will 4x4 square pole be good for this application, and would 1/4" thickness would be sufficient? Thicker sidewalls like 3/8 and 1/2" also available but that significantly increases cost and weight. Not really concerned about deflection, but I would not want it to be so much as to cause fatigue over time.
Is this straight forward to calculate based on the information above, or anyone aware of rule-of-thumb table somewhere online I can consult for poles?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can model this as a cantilever beam with a single load at one end. There is a calculator here. In the calculator, you have to input the following:

E = 30 000 000 psi (for steel)
I = Area moment of inertia section properties (see other calculator below)
W = 250 lb (your load)
l = 120 in (distance between ground and load)
x = 0 in (distance from ground where the stress is the highest, which is at the ground)
neutral axis distance = Extreme point (see other calculator below)

For I and the neutral axis distance you can use this calculator. In the calculator, you have to input the following (select "Inch (in.)"):

a = 4 in (outside width)
b = outside width - 2 * thickness

The value of interest will be «Stress at specific point». This value is in psi. For a ¼" thick tube (b=3.5 in),the stress is 6818 psi. The yield strength of steel (i.e. the necessary stress to permanently deform the tube) is 53 700 psi for 1018 steel and 36 300 psi for A36 steel (1018 finish is smooth and shiny, A36 finish is rough).

Dividing the yield strength by the calculated stress will give you the safety factor. In this case, with 1018 you have a safety factor of 7.88 and with A36 you have 5.32.

Here, you have a source for common safety factors. Normally a safety factor of 4-6 should be good («Structural steelwork in buildings»). But the model and data I used are a crude approximation, your load will be varying (it is worst if it is an impact force), so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a minimum safety factor of 7. If life or costly equipment might be at risk, 10 would be even better.

This is as close as a rule of thumb you can have, but in the end, this is at your own risk.

bobca1 said:
I need to be able to support a variable side load up to a maximum of about 250lbs at 10' high. I am planning on using a 14' 4x4 steel pole that will be anchored 4ft in the ground (with concrete).
Question I have will 4x4 square pole be good for this application, and would 1/4" thickness would be sufficient? Thicker sidewalls like 3/8 and 1/2" also available but that significantly increases cost and weight. Not really concerned about deflection, but I would not want it to be so much as to cause fatigue over time.
Is this straight forward to calculate based on the information above, or anyone aware of rule-of-thumb table somewhere online I can consult for poles?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the application? What is the source of the side load? There is a big difference between supporting a sign, and supporting a person...

Thank you jack for the explanation and the calculators! At a local metal supplier I see a product listed as "hot rolled square tube ERW ASTM-A500 Grade B" and its available in both 1/4" thickness as well as 3/8". To compare products I plugged in 3/8" (b = 3.25"), I get a stress of 5,000 and a safety factor of 7.26. I assume that A500 is the tube equivalent of A36... that reasonable?

According to Wikipedia definitive source for everything :smile: says grade B A500 shaped is 315 MPa.
(I converted to 45,687 psi).

bobca1 said:
I assume that A500 is the tube equivalent of A36... that reasonable?
No, it's not reasonable. That's why the material is identified as A500 instead of A36. Standards have different identifiers for a reason.

Likes berkeman

Related to How to determine side load for 4x4 metal pole?

1. How do you calculate the maximum side load for a 4x4 metal pole?

The maximum side load for a 4x4 metal pole can be calculated by multiplying the pole's ultimate tensile strength by its cross-sectional area. The resulting value will give you the maximum amount of force the pole can withstand before bending or breaking.

2. What is the formula for determining the side load capacity of a 4x4 metal pole?

The formula for determining the side load capacity of a 4x4 metal pole is: side load capacity = ultimate tensile strength x cross-sectional area.

3. Does the material of the pole affect its side load capacity?

Yes, the material of the pole can greatly affect its side load capacity. Different materials have different ultimate tensile strengths and cross-sectional areas, which will ultimately impact the maximum amount of force the pole can withstand.

4. What factors should be considered when determining the side load capacity of a 4x4 metal pole?

Some factors that should be considered when determining the side load capacity of a 4x4 metal pole include the material of the pole, its dimensions, and the type of load it will be subjected to. Other factors such as environmental conditions and the stability of the pole's foundation should also be taken into account.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my calculations for determining the side load capacity of a 4x4 metal pole?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculations, it is important to use precise measurements of the pole's dimensions and to obtain the most up-to-date information on its material properties. It may also be helpful to consult with a structural engineer or refer to industry standards for guidance.