How to determine Tchebysheff polynomial general expression

In summary, there are two ways to define Tchebysheff polynomials - with trigonometric functions or as polynomials. The latter can be derived from the former by using Euler's formula and expanding the right hand side. This can be done for any value of m, not just even values. This demonstration can be found in various sources, such as books or online resources.
EmilyRuck
Hello!
Tchebysheff polynomials are often defined with trigonometric functions:

[itex]T_m (x) =
\begin{cases} \cos(m \arccos (x)) & -1 \le x \le 1\\
\mathrm{cosh} (m \mathrm{arccosh} (x)) & x > 1\\(-1)^m \mathrm{cosh} (m \mathrm{arccosh} |x|) & x < 1
\end{cases}
[/itex]

But they are also polynomials, and for m even their definition could be

[itex]
T_m (x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{m/2} (-1)^{m/2 - n} \frac{m/2}{m/2 + n} \binom{m/2 + n}{2n}(2x)^{2n}
[/itex]

How could one derive the first expression from the latter? That is, how could we pass from a polynomial with powers of x to a [itex]\cos (m \arccos (x))[/itex] function?
I searched several times in the web for this demonstration, but I never found it. If you can suggest a link or a book instead of the demonstration itself I thank you so much anyway!
Bye :)

Emily

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cos(my) can be written as a polynomial in cos(y) of degree m. If y = arccos(x), then cos(my) is a polynomial in cos(arccos(x)) = x.

As a simple example the double angle formula, cos(2y) = cos2(y) - sin2(y) = 2cos2(y) - 1.

Triple angle, quartic angle etc. formulas exist as well. I think the easiest way is to use Euler's formula:

[tex] cos(my) + i sin(my) = e^{imy} = \left(e^{iy}\right)^n = \left( cos(y) + i sin(y) \right)^{m} [/tex]
Expanding the right hand side gives cos(my) and sin(my) as polynomials in cos(y) and sin(y) (from which you can write it in terms of only cosine or sine)

Likes 1 person

Related to How to determine Tchebysheff polynomial general expression

1. What is the Tchebysheff polynomial general expression?

The Tchebysheff polynomial general expression is a mathematical formula used to determine the coefficients of a Tchebysheff polynomial. It is represented as Tn(x) = cos(n cos-1(x)) where n is the degree of the polynomial and x is the variable.

2. How is the Tchebysheff polynomial general expression derived?

The Tchebysheff polynomial general expression is derived from the Tchebysheff polynomials, which are a set of orthogonal polynomials with unique properties. It is derived using the cosine function and the inverse cosine function.

3. What is the significance of the Tchebysheff polynomial general expression?

The Tchebysheff polynomial general expression is significant because it allows for the efficient calculation of the coefficients of a Tchebysheff polynomial. These polynomials have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, making the general expression a valuable tool for solving various problems.

4. How is the Tchebysheff polynomial general expression used in real-world problems?

The Tchebysheff polynomial general expression is used in a variety of real-world problems, such as data interpolation, numerical integration, and signal processing. It is also used in the approximation of functions and in solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Tchebysheff polynomial general expression?

One limitation of the Tchebysheff polynomial general expression is that it only applies to polynomials of a single variable. It also only works for Tchebysheff polynomials and cannot be used for other types of polynomials. Additionally, the general expression may not be the most efficient method for calculating the coefficients in certain situations.

Back