How to Determine the Limit of a Differential Equation Solution?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the discussion is about finding the limit of a differential equation where the solution goes to a specific value as x approaches infinity. The solution of the differential equation is in the form of $\phi(x)=ce^{-ax}+e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t) dt$, and by using Laplace Transform, the limit can be calculated to be $\frac{l}{a}$. However, if the assumption that for all n>0, $\lim_{x \to +\infty} b^{(n)}(x) = 0$ is not true, a counterexample of an equation is given where the limit does not exist.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the following exercise:

Let the (linear) differential equation $y'+ay=b(x)$ where $a>0, b$ continuous on $[0,+\infty)$ and $\lim_{x \to +\infty} b(x)=l \in \mathbb{R}$.

Show that each solution of the differential equation goes to $\frac{l}{a}$ while $x \to +\infty$,

i.e. if $\phi$ is any solution of the differential equation, show that $\lim_{x \to +\infty} \phi(x)=\frac{l}{a}$.

That's what I have tried:

The solution of the differential equation will be of the form:

$\phi(x)=ce^{-ax}+e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t) dt$

$\lim_{x \to +\infty} c e^{-ax}=0$

So, $\lim_{x \to +\infty} \phi(x)=\lim_{x \to +\infty} e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t)dt$How can we calculate the limit $\lim_{x \to +\infty} e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t)dt$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the following exercise:

Let the (linear) differential equation $y'+ay=b(x)$ where $a>0, b$ continuous on $[0,+\infty)$ and $\lim_{x \to +\infty} b(x)=l \in \mathbb{R}$.

Show that each solution of the differential equation goes to $\frac{l}{a}$ while $x \to +\infty$,

i.e. if $\phi$ is any solution of the differential equation, show that $\lim_{x \to +\infty} \phi(x)=\frac{l}{a}$.

That's what I have tried:

The solution of the differential equation will be of the form:

$\phi(x)=ce^{-ax}+e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t) dt$

$\lim_{x \to +\infty} c e^{-ax}=0$

So, $\lim_{x \to +\infty} \phi(x)=\lim_{x \to +\infty} e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t)dt$How can we calculate the limit $\lim_{x \to +\infty} e^{-ax} \int_0^x e^{at}b(t)dt$ ? (Thinking)

The problem is trivial using the Laplace Tranform... defining...

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{ f(t) \} = F(s) = \int_{0}^{\infty} f(t)\ e^{- s t}\ d t\ (1)$

... is...

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{ f^{\ '} (t)\} = s\ F(s) - f(0)\ (2)$

... and...

$\displaystyle \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} f(t) = \lim_{ s \rightarrow 0} s\ F(s)\ (3)$

Now, writing the ODE in term of Laplace Transform You obtain...

$\displaystyle s\ Y(s) - y(0) + a\ Y(s) = B(s) \implies Y(s) = \frac{B(s) + y(0)}{s + a} \ (4)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} y(t) = \lim_{s \rightarrow 0} \frac{s\ \{B(s) + y(0)\}}{s + a} = \frac{l}{a}\ (5)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
How else could we calculate the limit? Because we haven't seen [m] Laplace [/m] yet... (Thinking)

evinda said:
How else could we calculate the limit? Because we haven't seen [m] Laplace [/m] yet... (Thinking)

All right!...

a) take into account that if b(x) is continuous and $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b(x) = l$...

b) suppose that for all its derivatives is $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b^{(n)} (x) = 0$...

... now You consider that for the 'particular solution' is...

$\displaystyle \phi(x) = e^{- a\ x}\ \int_{0}^{x} e^{a\ t}\ b(t)\ d t = e^{- a\ x} |\frac{e ^{a\ t}}{a}\ b(t)|_{0}^{x} - \frac {e^{- a x}}{a}\ \int_{0}^{x} e^{a\ t}\ b^{\ '} (t)\ dt =$

$\displaystyle = \frac{b(x)}{a} - \frac{e ^{- a\ x}}{a}\ b(0) - \frac{b^{\ '} (x)}{a^{2}} + \frac{e^{- a\ x}}{a^{2}}\ b^{\ '}(0) + ...\ (1)$

... and if b(x) is 'regular enough' around x=0 the result is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \phi(x) = \frac{l}{a}\ (2)$

If b) isn't true however, honestly I don't have at the moment any idea on how to proceed...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
All right!...

a) take into account that if b(x) is continuous and $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b(x) = l$...

b) suppose that for all its derivatives is $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b^{(n)} (x) = 0$...

... now You consider that for the 'particular solution' is...

$\displaystyle \phi(x) = e^{- a\ x}\ \int_{0}^{x} e^{a\ t}\ b(t)\ d t = e^{- a\ x} |\frac{e ^{a\ t}}{a}\ b(t)|_{0}^{x} - \frac {e^{- a x}}{a}\ \int_{0}^{x} e^{a\ t}\ b^{\ '} (t)\ dt =$

$\displaystyle = \frac{b(x)}{a} - \frac{e ^{- a\ x}}{a}\ b(0) - \frac{b^{\ '} (x)}{a^{2}} + \frac{e^{- a\ x}}{a^{2}}\ b^{\ '}(0) + ...\ (1)$

... and if b(x) is 'regular enough' around x=0 the result is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \phi(x) = \frac{l}{a}\ (2)$

If b) isn't true however, honestly I don't have at the moment any idea on how to proceed...

It's my opinion that, when in doubt, the safest thing is to look for a few 'counterexample '... and what I found was this ...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} + y = \frac{\sin x^{2}}{1 + x},\ y(0) = 0\ (1)$

... which, being $a=1$ and $\displaystyle b(x) = \frac{\sin x^{2}}{1 + x}$, is a particular case of the general equation proposed by evinda...

... here is $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b(x) = 0$ but $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b^{\ '} (x)$ doesn't exist...

The numeric solution of (1) given by 'Monster Wolfram' is here...

y''' '+' y '=' sin '('x'^'2')''/''('1'+' x')', y'('0')''='0 - Wolfram|Alpha

... and it seeems that $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} y(x)$ doesn't exist...

... the conclusion could be that the assumption that for all n> 0 is $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} b^{(n)} (x) = 0$ is required ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

FAQ: How to Determine the Limit of a Differential Equation Solution?

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain point or value. It is used to determine the value that a function "approaches" as the input values get closer and closer to the given point.

2. How do you calculate a limit algebraically?

To calculate a limit algebraically, you can use various techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, and applying algebraic rules such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules. It is important to also consider the domain of the function and any potential discontinuities.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input values approach the given point from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function from both sides simultaneously.

4. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the value of the function approaches a specific value as the input values get closer and closer to the given point. This can be determined by evaluating the limit algebraically, graphically, or numerically. If the same value is obtained from each method, then the limit exists.

5. Can you calculate a limit at a point where the function is not defined?

No, a limit cannot be calculated at a point where the function is not defined. This is because the limit is used to determine the behavior of the function as the input values approach a certain point, and if the function is not defined at that point, there is no way to determine its behavior. In this case, the limit is said to not exist.