How to determine the limits for triple integration?

In summary, HallsofIvy attempted to solve the triple integral but was not able to determine the limits for x, y, and z. He then asked for help and was provided a sketch of the projection of the area into the xy plane.
Alex_Neof

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triple integral:
∫ x dxdydz
A

where

A = {(x; y; z) : x, y, z > 0, x + y + z ≤ 1} .

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I have is determining the limits for x, y and z. I don't really understand the following notation:

A = {(x; y; z) : x, y, z > 0, x + y + z ≤ 1} , which I believe will help me.

I'm guessing x + y + z ≤ 1 is the definition of a plane and the region A that we are integration over is in the first octant since x, y, z > 0.

Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex_Neof said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triple integral:
∫ x dxdydz
A

where

A = {(x; y; z) : x, y, z > 0, x + y + z ≤ 1} .

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I have is determining the limits for x, y and z. I don't really understand the following notation:

A = {(x; y; z) : x, y, z > 0, x + y + z ≤ 1} , which I believe will help me.

I'm guessing x + y + z ≤ 1 is the definition of a plane and the region A that we are integration over is in the first octant since x, y, z > 0.

Kind regards.
You are correct.

However, in future, please post your homework in the proper HW forum. I'm moving this thread to the Calculus HW forum.

x+ y+ z= 1, which is the same as z= 1- x- y, is a plane crossing the three coordinate axes at (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1).

Projecting down to the xy-plane, where z= 0, we have the region bounded by the x and y axes and the line x+ y= 0. The line x+ y= 0, which is the same as y= 1- x, crosses the x and y axes at (1, 0) and (0, 1). So x goes from a smallest value of 0 to a largest value of 1. Now, if you were to draw a line parallel to the y-axis, for each x, what would the lowest and largest values of y be? If you were to draw a line parallel to the z- axis, for each (x,y), what would the smallest and largest values of y be?

Likes Alex_Neof
Ah sorry about that SteamKing. So if I consider layers along the z axis, my constant limits for z would be from 0 to 1. I still don't know how to determine the limits for x and y. I cannot visualise the projection of A onto the x-y plane.

Hi HallsofIvy, so for each value of x, the lowest and highest value of y would be from 0 to the line x+y=1, so the highest value will be y=x-1? Will the highest values for z be 0 to 1?

Kind regards.

ah sorry, I think my limits for z are wrong as you told me to think about z for each (x,y)

In cases like this, making a simple sketch can often provide clarity to what the limits are.

Likes Alex_Neof
Alex_Neof said:
Hi HallsofIvy, so for each value of x, the lowest and highest value of y would be from 0 to the line x+y=1, so the highest value will be y=x-1?
No! If x+ y= 1 then y= 1- x.

Will the highest values for z be 0 to 1?
No.

Kind regards.

ah sorry, I think my limits for z are wrong as you told me to think about z for each (x,y)
z goes from 0 to 1- x- y.

Likes Alex_Neof
HallsofIvy, why does z go from 0 to 1-x-y?

ah it's the equation of the plane from the xy plane to z=1- x -y for each x and y! nevermind!
Thank you! I really appreciate the help from everyone.

Related to How to determine the limits for triple integration?

1. What is the purpose of determining the limits for triple integration?

The limits for triple integration are used to define the three-dimensional region over which the integration will be performed. This helps to accurately calculate the volume, mass, or other quantities of interest within the given region.

2. How do you determine the limits for triple integration in rectangular coordinates?

In rectangular coordinates, the limits for triple integration are typically determined by identifying the range of values for the x, y, and z variables within the given region. This can be done by graphing the region and identifying the boundaries, or by setting up equations and solving for the limits algebraically.

3. How do you determine the limits for triple integration in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the limits for triple integration are determined by identifying the range of values for the radius, angle, and height variables within the given region. This can be done by graphing the region and identifying the boundaries, or by setting up equations and solving for the limits algebraically.

4. What are the limitations of using triple integration to calculate volume?

One limitation of using triple integration to calculate volume is that it can only be applied to regions with simple geometric shapes, such as cubes, cylinders, or spheres. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated volume may decrease as the complexity of the region increases.

5. Are there any tips for determining the limits for triple integration more efficiently?

One tip for determining the limits for triple integration more efficiently is to break the region into smaller subregions that can be integrated separately. This can help simplify the calculation process and reduce the chances of making errors. Additionally, using symmetry and understanding the properties of the given region can also help in determining the limits more efficiently.