How to Determine the Magnetic Field B Using Forces F1, F2, and F3 on a Charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces experienced by a test charge q in a region with electric and magnetic fields E and B. The Lorentz Force Equation is mentioned as a possible solution, and the goal is to find the relationship between B and A. The approach suggested is to assume B=kA and find k. The poster has attempted the problem, but is unsure of how to determine the direction of each force and is seeking help. The suggestion is made to make a drawing to better understand the problem.
waiyat620

Homework Statement

Let F1,F2 and F3 be the forces experiences by a test charge q at a point in a region of electric and magnetic fields E and B, respectively, for velocities v1,v2 and v3, respectively, of the charge.
If F1,F2 and F3 are such that A= F1xF2 + F2xF3 + F3xF1 =/= 0, that is, their tips do not lie on a straight line when drawn from a commom point.
-> Show that B=(1/q)|(F2-F1)/[(v2-v1)xA]|A

*(The character that Bolded means vector, eg. F1)

Homework Equations

I think it is related to the Lorentz Force Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us to find the relationship between B and A, which we can assume B=kA and to find k. I don't really have any idea how to work on it as i don't know how to get the direction of each force.
Please Help me..I am really despair as i have worked on it for a really long time ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Waiyat and welcome to PF.

Great post. If you use boldface to designate a vector that's good. An alternative is to use ##{\#}{\#}## \ vec F ##{\#}{\#}## to get ##\vec F##.

I think it is related to the Lorentz Force Equation
I agree. So write it down! Not only for me, but for yourself as well.

Under 1. I notice you have v1 etc as scalars first, but as vectors later on. And the B is definitely a B

"teacher told us" is not the same as showing your attempt: you have to start somewhere and get stuck somewhere. Being desperate is not really helpful. Panicking isn't either. Don't worry, help is on the way. Make a first step so potential helpers can see where you are.

Free advice: make a drawing. Doesn't have to be a prize winner, just a simple diagram. If the problem seems too complicated, draw only a few things you do recognize.

Last edited:

Related to How to Determine the Magnetic Field B Using Forces F1, F2, and F3 on a Charge?

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These different types of radiation have different wavelengths and frequencies, which determine their properties and uses.

2. What are some common electromagnetic problems?

Some common electromagnetic problems include interference, radiation exposure, and electromagnetic compatibility issues. Interference occurs when one electromagnetic wave affects another, causing distortion or disruption. Radiation exposure can lead to health issues in humans and other organisms. Electromagnetic compatibility issues arise when different devices or systems interfere with each other's functioning.

3. How can electromagnetic problems be prevented?

Electromagnetic problems can be prevented through proper engineering and design. This can involve shielding sensitive equipment from external electromagnetic fields, minimizing the strength of electromagnetic waves emitted from devices, and ensuring that different devices are compatible with each other.

4. What is the role of electromagnetism in everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It is the force behind electricity, allowing us to power our homes, businesses, and devices. It also plays a role in communication, as electromagnetic waves are used for radio, television, and cellular transmissions. Additionally, electromagnetism is essential for medical imaging and therapy, as well as various industrial processes.

5. How does electromagnetic radiation travel through space?

Electromagnetic radiation travels through space in the form of waves. These waves do not require a medium to travel through, unlike other types of waves such as sound waves. They can travel through a vacuum, which is why electromagnetic waves from the sun can reach Earth. The speed of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is known as the speed of light.