How to Diagonalize a Hamiltonian with Fermion Operators?

• Thread starter Enialis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary, the conversation discusses trying to solve a problem involving a 1D electron system and a Hamiltonian. The goal is to prove the spectrum of the system, which is given by a specific formula. One approach is to use operators that form an su(2) algebra and calculate the adjoint action. However, there is an issue with the units of the formula and a possible alternative formula is suggested.
Enialis

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve a problem of 1D electron system.
Given [tex]a,a^\dagger,b,b^\dagger[/tex] annihilation and creation operator which satisfy the fermion commutation relations diagonalize the following hamiltonian:

[tex]H=v_F\sum_{k>0}k(a^\dagger_ka_k-b^\dagger_kb_k)+\Delta\sum_k(b^\dagger_{k-k_F}a_{k+k_F}+a^\dagger_{k+k_F}b_{k-k_F})[/tex]

where [tex]v_F,\Delta[/tex] are c-numbers.

Prove that the spectrum is given by:
[tex]E=v_Fk_F\pm v_F(\Delta^2+k^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I try to define the following operators (that form an su(2) algebra):
[tex]J_3=\frac{1}{2}(a^\dagger_{k+k_F}a_{k+k_F}-b^\dagger_{k-k_F}b_{k-k_F})[/tex]
[tex]J_+=a^\dagger_{k+k_F}b_{k-k_F}[/tex]
[tex]J_-=b^\dagger_{k-k_F}a_{k+k_F}[/tex]
and to calculate the adjoint action but I don't know how to continue.
Please help me, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spectrum cannot be given by
[tex]E=v_Fk_F\pm v_F(\Delta^2+k^2)^{1/2}[/tex]
because the units of [tex] \Delta [/tex] and [tex] k [/tex] are not the same. I tried rewriting the first term (linear kinetic energy) using operators shifted by [tex] k_F [/tex] and then diagonalizing it, and I got
[tex] E=\frac{1}{2} (v_F k_F \pm (v_F^2 k^2 + 4\Delta^2)^{1/2})[/tex]
Still may not be correct, but at least the units match.

Related to How to Diagonalize a Hamiltonian with Fermion Operators?

1. What does it mean to diagonalize a Hamiltonian?

Diagonalization of a Hamiltonian refers to the mathematical process of transforming the Hamiltonian, which is a matrix of operators representing the energy of a quantum system, into a diagonal matrix. This simplifies the equations used to describe the system and makes it easier to solve for the energy levels and corresponding eigenstates.

2. Why is it important to diagonalize a Hamiltonian?

Diagonalizing a Hamiltonian is important because it allows us to find the energy levels and eigenstates of a quantum system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the system, and can be used to make predictions and calculations for experiments.

3. What is the process for diagonalizing a Hamiltonian?

The process of diagonalizing a Hamiltonian involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix. This can be done using various mathematical methods, such as diagonalization algorithms or numerical techniques.

4. What are the benefits of diagonalizing a Hamiltonian?

Diagonalizing a Hamiltonian simplifies the equations used to describe a quantum system, making it easier to solve for the energy levels and eigenstates. It also allows for a better understanding of the system's behavior and properties, and can lead to more accurate predictions and calculations.

5. Is it always possible to diagonalize a Hamiltonian?

No, it is not always possible to diagonalize a Hamiltonian. In some cases, the Hamiltonian may be too complex or the system may have degenerate energy levels, making it impossible to fully diagonalize. In these cases, approximation methods may be used to obtain an approximate diagonalization or other techniques may be used to analyze the system.