How to differentiate b/w a conservative/non-conservative force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of a specific force to be conservative or non-conservative. It defines conservative forces as those whose work done does not depend on the path taken and gives examples such as electrostatic and gravitational forces. Non-conservative forces, such as friction, are also mentioned. The conversation then delves into different definitions of conservative forces and their implications on different scenarios. Ultimately, it is concluded that in an ideal world with rigid bodies and no resistive forces, all forces would be conservative. However, in real-world scenarios, factors like magnetic fields and time-varying electric fields can complicate the determination of a force's conservatism.
SciencyBoi

Homework Statement

How do we determine a specific force mentioned in a question to be conservative or non-conservative?

2. Relevant data
Conservative force is a force whose work done does not depend on the path that is taken while doing it. Examples include electrostatic force, gravitational force. It is because of this property that we are able to define potential energies.
They can be differentiated by evaluating a closed loop and checking if zero.

Non-conservative force are the opposite of conservative forces. Examples include frictional force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried brainstorming about some particular forces like the one shown below;
AOnX8NO.jpg

Here, I cannot determine if the force is conservative or not. The question required application of Work-Energy theorem, wherein, work of F on block was simply given as F.|AB| + mgh (h being the height it rises by)

Which is only possible if F is conservative.

Please shed some photons. I seem to be missing some concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wiki gives three alternative definitions of conservative force:
  1. It conserves mechanical energy (ie does not produce heat)
  2. The work done is path-independent
  3. It is part of a force field that has certain mathematical properties.
The definitions are equivalent when the force is part of a field, but not otherwise. In this example, the force F is not part of a field, which means we can't use definition 3, and it is not possible to vary the path, which knocks out definition 2. So we have to use definition 1.

What hypothetical properties would we have to require the block, rope, pulley and curved surface to have in order to satisfy definition 1? (These conditions may not be achievable in practice.)

Likes SciencyBoi
andrewkirk said:
What hypothetical properties would we have to require the block, rope, pulley and curved surface to have in order to satisfy definition 1? (These conditions may not be achievable in practice.)
I think, there should be no resistive forces, like friction or elasticity in the rope. That should make it a conservative force by definition 1.

But, then another confusion, these three definitions make nearly every force (in an ideal world/scenario) conservative. A world with rigid bodies and no friction would mean conservative forces everywhere. Am I right?

Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it...

SciencyBoi said:
A world with rigid bodies and no friction would mean conservative forces everywhere. Am I right?
I think problems arise with magnetic fields and time-varying electric fields. See for instance the discussions here and here. Definition 3 cannot be satisfied by a magnetic field, as there is no magnetic potential. However I don't think the lack of conservatism can be put down to heat-generating processes such as friction. I think for magnetic fields, perhaps definition 1 of a conservative force is satisfied but not definition 3. If we restrict ourselves to mechanics - ie excluding electromagnetic forces, and ignore the fact that collisions and rebounds between rigid(-ish) bodies have to be ultimately explained in terms of electrostatic forces (and that even the most elastic collisions always generate some heat), then I think what you wrote works.

Likes SciencyBoi

Related to How to differentiate b/w a conservative/non-conservative force?

1. What is the definition of a conservative force?

A conservative force is a force that does not dissipate energy as it acts on an object. This means that the work done by the force is independent of the path taken by the object, and only depends on the initial and final positions of the object. Examples of conservative forces include gravity and electrostatic forces.

2. How can I differentiate between a conservative and non-conservative force?

A conservative force is characterized by the fact that the total mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) of an object remains constant as it moves through space. On the other hand, a non-conservative force will cause a change in the total mechanical energy of an object.

3. Can you give an example of a non-conservative force?

An example of a non-conservative force is friction. Friction converts kinetic energy into thermal energy, causing a decrease in the total mechanical energy of an object. Other examples include air resistance and viscous drag.

4. How can I tell if a force is conservative or non-conservative?

To determine if a force is conservative, you can calculate the work done by the force along two different paths. If the work done is the same for both paths, the force is conservative. If the work done is different, the force is non-conservative.

5. Why is it important to differentiate between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Understanding the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces is important in many areas of science and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict the motion of objects and calculate the amount of work and energy involved in a system. This knowledge is also crucial in designing efficient and sustainable systems, such as energy production and transportation systems.