How to Display Values in MATLAB Using disp and sprintf with Named Columns?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter tigertan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, to display values in MATLAB using disp and sprintf with named columns, you first need to define the values you want to display in a variable. Then, use disp to display the variable with the column names specified in curly braces. You can also use sprintf to format the values before displaying them. This method is useful for displaying data in a more organized and readable format. Additionally, you can use the fprintf function to display the values in a table format. Remember to end each line with a semicolon to prevent unnecessary output. With these tools, you can efficiently display values in MATLAB with named columns.
tigertan
How can I display my values:

Z = 23 -12 -31 -20 -23 -13.8

using disp and sprintf and naming the columns A1, A2, A3, S4, S5, S6 respectively (in Matlab)?

I hope you can help! am desperate

Physics news on Phys.org
MatLab doesn't come with printf, but it does have sprintf, so to output formated text to the console, you may do this.

Code:
disp(sprintf("hello world"));

You may read about sprintf at http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/sprintf.html.

To align the Columns, you may separate the column headers by one or more tabs. This is the escape character for tab:

Code:
\t

if you are printing numbers with more digits, the column headers may have to be separated with more tabs than the tabs between numbers on a row.

Last edited:
Hi MisterX

Thank you kindly for your response!

Yes I did in fact mean using the function disp(sprintf(...

I have no idea how I'd go about setting it up though??

I have defined my Z values already. How can I input that directly?

Did you read the "Examples" section through the link in my previous post?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do... can you type out or post an image of what you'd like the output to actually look like?

Also, are you writing this to a text file or to the command window?

Related to How to Display Values in MATLAB Using disp and sprintf with Named Columns?

1) What is the difference between "disp" and "sprintf" in MATLAB?

The "disp" function is used to display a message or variable in the Command Window, while "sprintf" is used to format and display a string or variable in the Command Window or in a file.

2) How do I use the "disp" function to display multiple variables in MATLAB?

To display multiple variables using the "disp" function, you can separate them with a comma within the parentheses, or use the "num2str" function to convert the variables into strings and concatenate them.

3) What is the syntax for using "sprintf" to format a string in MATLAB?

The syntax for using "sprintf" is: sprintf(format, variable1, variable2, ...). The "format" argument specifies the format of the string, and the variables following it are the values to be inserted into the string.

4) Can I use "sprintf" to format numbers in scientific notation in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use "sprintf" with the format specifier "%e" to format numbers in scientific notation. For example, sprintf("%e", 10000) would display 1.000000e+04.

5) How can I display a variable with a specific number of decimal places using "sprintf" in MATLAB?

To display a variable with a specific number of decimal places using "sprintf", you can use the format specifier "%.nf", where "n" is the number of decimal places you want to display. For example, sprintf("%.2f", 3.14159) would display 3.14.