How to dissect a hdd spindle motor Sankey

• Thread starter julee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hdd Motor
In summary, the conversation discusses how to disassemble a Seagate (Mod. ST31276A) spindle motor, which is a "sankey" made in Japan. The suggested method is to use a probe to hold and smack the spindle onto a hard surface, allowing it to pop out of its location in the HDD chassis and reveal the motor. The conversation ends with an offer for further assistance if needed.
julee
How to dissect a hdd (seagate Mod. ST31276A) spindle motor "Sankey"?

I have a spindle motor of seagate( Mod. ST31276A about 6 GB) It motor is "sankey" made in Japan . I wonder how to disassemble it(to see the coils, magnet,halls, etc). If some people can help me ..I will appreciate a lot.
Thanks. :confused:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
what size HD was it from?

The spindle is press-fitted into the chassis.

Get something you can use as a probe (just use a screw or something), hold it underneath the spindle, and smack the whole lot down onto a hard surface. The spindle should pop out of its location in the HDD chassis, then you'll be able to see the motor.

If this isn't what you're after, let us know.

Related to How to dissect a hdd spindle motor Sankey

1. What tools do I need to dissect a HDD spindle motor Sankey?

To dissect a HDD spindle motor Sankey, you will need a set of screwdrivers (Phillips and flathead), pliers, a small hammer, and a pair of tweezers. You may also need a Torx screwdriver if your motor has Torx screws.

2. How do I safely open the HDD spindle motor Sankey?

The first step to safely opening the HDD spindle motor Sankey is to unplug the motor from any power source. Then, use a screwdriver to remove any screws holding the motor casing together. Use caution when prying open the casing to avoid damaging any internal components.

3. Can I reassemble the HDD spindle motor Sankey after dissection?

Yes, it is possible to reassemble the HDD spindle motor Sankey after dissection. However, it requires careful attention to detail and the proper tools. If you are unsure about your ability to reassemble the motor, it is best to leave it disassembled.

4. What can I learn from dissecting a HDD spindle motor Sankey?

Dissecting a HDD spindle motor Sankey can provide insight into the internal components and workings of the motor. It can also help you understand the role of the motor in the larger system of a hard drive and how it contributes to the overall function of the device.

5. Are there any risks to dissecting a HDD spindle motor Sankey?

There are some risks associated with dissecting a HDD spindle motor Sankey, such as damaging internal components or injuring yourself with sharp tools. It is important to take proper safety precautions and be careful when handling the motor's internal parts.