How to distinguish different phonon branches?

• Thread starter qiub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phonon
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in determining which portions near branch crossings in complex phonon dispersions belong to the same branch. They have received suggestions to use distinguishing features or a dot product of eigenvectors from neighboring k points to determine this information.
qiub
Hi, I'm trying to distinguish phonon branches in the case of branch crossings in some complex phonon dispersions, like in the below example:

http://cmt.dur.ac.uk/sjc/thesis/thesis/img354.gif

My question is, how can I know which portions near the crossing belong to the same branch? I've this question because when I want to calculate group velocity, it becomes quite confusing, please help me, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite often, there are distinguishing features between the branches near a crossing point, so it is not really possible to say which line belongs to which. One general method is to postulate a phonon-phonon interaction (say, universal repulsion), which will cause the crossing points to be teased apart, and thus reveal some underlying differences (maybe, depends on the interaction).

Thanks for the reply! I also got another reply from other sources. He suggested that the way to determine which frequencies belong to the same branch, a dot product of eigenvectors from neighboring k points can be carried out, the ones with most overlap should be belong to the same branch.

Related to How to distinguish different phonon branches?

1. What is a phonon branch?

A phonon branch is a specific type of vibrational mode that describes the movement of atoms in a crystal lattice. Each branch represents a different type of vibration, such as longitudinal or transverse, and has its own set of energy and momentum values.

2. Why is it important to distinguish between different phonon branches?

Distinguishing between different phonon branches is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of materials at the atomic level. By identifying and studying the different vibrational modes, we can gain insight into important properties such as thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and structural stability.

3. How do you experimentally distinguish between different phonon branches?

There are several experimental techniques that can be used to distinguish between different phonon branches. These include inelastic neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and infrared spectroscopy. Each method involves measuring the energy and momentum of the phonons and analyzing the data to identify the different branches.

4. Can theoretical methods be used to distinguish between different phonon branches?

Yes, theoretical methods such as density functional theory (DFT) can also be used to distinguish between different phonon branches. These methods involve using mathematical models to calculate the vibrational modes of a crystal and their corresponding energies and momenta.

5. Are there any challenges in distinguishing between different phonon branches?

Yes, there are some challenges in distinguishing between different phonon branches. One of the main challenges is that phonon branches can overlap in energy and momentum space, making it difficult to differentiate between them. In addition, experimental techniques may have limitations in their ability to accurately measure the energy and momentum of phonons.