How to do a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction?

In summary: In this case, we can choose ε = 10-11. Then for any δ > 0, we can find an x so that both |x - 1| < δ and |x2 - (1+10-10)| ≥ ε. This contradicts the definition of the limit, which says that for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that... So the limit cannot equal 1+10-10. Therefore, the statement is proved by contradiction.
shawli

Homework Statement

Prove that lim x→1 of x2 does not equal 1+10-10. You could use a proof by contradiction.

(It is question 2.b here)

Homework Equations

δ-ε proofs!

The Attempt at a Solution

Given ε > 0, there is some number δ > 0 such that if:

|x - a | < δ
|x - 0 | < δ
|x| < δ

Then:

| f(x) - L | < ε
| x2 - 1+10-10 | < ε...and here's where I get stuck. Delta-epsilon proofs always seemed a bit circular to me, and what confuses me about proving "by contradiction" here is the fact that I should be able to choose some δ and the limit WOULD approach 1+10-10 :s... I'm a bit lost on where to go from here!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shawli said:

Homework Statement

Prove that lim x→0 of x2 does not equal 1+10-10. You could use a proof by contradiction.

(It is question 2.b here)

Homework Equations

δ-ε proofs!

The Attempt at a Solution

Given ε > 0, there is some number δ > 0 such that if:

|x - a | < δ
|x - 0 | < δ
|x| < δ

Then:

| f(x) - L | < ε
| x2 - 1+10-10 | < ε

...and here's where I get stuck. Delta-epsilon proofs always seemed a bit circular to me, and what confuses me about proving "by contradiction" here is the fact that I should be able to choose some δ and the limit WOULD approach 1+10-10 :s... I'm a bit lost on where to go from here!
So the (sketch of a) proof would go something like this ...
Assume that the limit, L = 1+10-10.

Then pick ε small enough so that no matter how small δ is, it's impossible to find an x for which both of the following are true:
0 < |x - 1| < δ​
and
| x2 - (1+10-10) | < ε​
How small do you suppose ε must be?

Is it a matter of picking something that is smaller than 10-10?

How about 1/2 of that?

One half of that... so 0.5-10 (or 5-11)?
Did you choose this for some specific reason or just arbitrarily?

Another question -- If I'm choosing a specific value of ε here that isn't based on δ (so far as I can tell!), then do I still have to go through those initial steps of simplifying |f(x) - L | < ε to make the left-hand side look like the expression for delta (i.e., | x - 1| < δ )? Or am I missing the point of something here completely... :frown:

Hmm... Because to show that something isn't true, I just need one example that works to disprove it. So I really can just choose a small ε (like, an actual number that isn't in terms of δ) and show that it doesn't work once and that's it?

shawli said:

Hmm... Because to show that something isn't true, I just need one example that works to disprove it. So I really can just choose a small ε (like, an actual number that isn't in terms of δ) and show that it doesn't work once and that's it?

That's the idea.

Related to How to do a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction?

1. What is a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction?

A delta-epsilon proof by contradiction is a method used in mathematics to prove the existence of a limit. It involves assuming that the limit does not exist and then arriving at a contradiction, which shows that the limit does indeed exist.

2. How do I begin a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction?

The first step in a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction is to assume that the limit does not exist. This means that there is a value, epsilon, for which no matter how small we choose a positive number delta, there is always a point within delta units of the limit point that is not within epsilon units of the limit value.

3. What is the role of the delta and epsilon in a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction?

The delta and epsilon in a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction represent the distance between the limit point and the limit value, respectively. The goal of the proof is to show that no matter how small we choose the value of delta, there will always be points within delta units of the limit point that are not within epsilon units of the limit value, leading to a contradiction.

4. How do I use a contradiction to prove the existence of a limit?

Assuming that the limit does not exist, we can arrive at a contradiction by showing that there must be at least one point within delta units of the limit point that is also within epsilon units of the limit value. This would contradict our initial assumption and prove that the limit does indeed exist.

5. Are there any tips for successfully completing a delta-epsilon proof by contradiction?

It is important to carefully choose the values of delta and epsilon, as well as identify the correct point to arrive at a contradiction. It can also be helpful to draw a graph or use visual aids to better understand the problem and guide the proof. Practice and patience are key in mastering this technique.