How to do fourier transformation of power law functions

In summary, The conversation discusses an integration problem involving the change of variables from k*x to z. The resulting factor is k^{-1-a}, which can be expressed as a simplified form (\int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz) / k^{1+a}. However, the remaining integration in this form is still challenging, and the speaker wonders how to approach it when dealing with an imaginary exponential argument.
sufive
As the title, I want to know details of the following integrations

\int |x|^a * exp[i*k*x] * dx = k^{-1-a} * Gamma[1+a] * sin[a*pi/2] -------(1)

by variable changes, k*x -> z, it's easy to get the factor k^{-1-a}, i.e.

l.h.s -> (\int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz) / k^{1+a} -------------------------------------(2)

but the remaining integration seems very difficult.
We know,

\int z^a * exp[-z] * dz \propto Gamma[1+a] --------------------------------------(3)

But, how to do integrations in eq(2) whose exponential argument is
imaginary instead negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the imaginary unit as a constant.

Related to How to do fourier transformation of power law functions

1. What is a power law function?

A power law function is a mathematical function that follows the form of y = kxn, where k is a constant and n is the exponent. It is also known as a "scaling law" or "monomial function".

2. Why is Fourier transformation used on power law functions?

Fourier transformation is used on power law functions to convert them from the time domain to the frequency domain. This allows us to analyze the frequency components of the function and better understand its behavior.

3. How do I perform Fourier transformation on a power law function?

To perform Fourier transformation on a power law function, you will need to use a mathematical software or programming language that has a built-in function for Fourier transformation. Simply input the power law function and the software will output the Fourier transformation in the frequency domain.

4. What is the significance of the Fourier transformation of a power law function?

The Fourier transformation of a power law function reveals the frequency components of the function, which can provide valuable insights into its behavior and characteristics. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

5. Can Fourier transformation be applied to all power law functions?

Yes, Fourier transformation can be applied to all power law functions as long as they are continuous and defined over the entire real line. However, the resulting transformation may not always be mathematically tractable or have a closed-form solution.