How to do this discount question

• MHB
  • Thread starter Simon T
  • Start date
In summary, the Star Camera Centre ordered a special lens for \$600 with trade discounts of 20% and 5%. They received an invoice with terms 8/10, 4/20, n/30 EOM and must make a partial payment of \$235.52 on December 10 to reduce the unpaid balance to \$200.
Simon T
The star camera center ordered a special lens from one of their suppliers. This lens is listed at 600 dollars with trade discounts of 20% and 5%. An invoice dated November 14 with terms 8/10, 4/20, n/30 EOM was enclosed with the lens when it was delivered to the Star Camera Centre on November 17. Determine for the Star Camera Centre the size of the partial payment they must make to their supplier on December 10 in order to reduce the unpaid balance to 200 dollars.

how do you do this question? This is what I have so far:

CP = 600 (1-8)(1-20)(1-5)
CP = 600 (0.92)(0.8)(0.95)
CP = 600 (0.6992)
CP = 419.52

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cyrus23 said:
The Star Camera Center ordered a special lens from one of their suppliers.
This lens is listed at \$600 with trade discounts of 20% and 5%.
An invoice dated November 14 with terms 8/10, 4/20, n/30 EOM was enclosed with the lens
when it was delivered to the Star Camera Centre on November 17.
Determine for the Star Camera Centre the size of the partial payment they must make
to their supplier on December 10 in order to reduce the unpaid balance to \$200.

The trade discounts means the Camera Center owes:
. . [tex]\$600 \times 80\% \times 95\% \,=\, \$456[/tex]

It's been many years since I taught Business Math,
bit I believe I understand the terms.

[tex]8/10,\;4/20,\;n/30,\;\text{EOM}[/tex] means:
. . take an 8% discount if paid within 10 days,
. . take a 4% discount if paid within 20 days,
. . net (total amount) is due after 30 days.
The times are measured from the End Of the Month.
In this problem, EOM = November 30.

To reduce the unpaid balance to \$200,
they must pay \$256 on December 10th..

Since they are paying within 10 days,
they are entitled to an 8% discount.

So they must pay: [tex]\$256 \times 92\% \,=\,\$235.52[/tex]

FAQ: How to do this discount question

1. How do I calculate a discount?

To calculate a discount, simply multiply the original price by the discount percentage. The result will be the amount discounted from the original price. Subtract this amount from the original price to get the discounted price.

2. What is the formula for calculating a discount?

The formula for calculating a discount is: Discounted Price = Original Price - (Original Price x Discount Percentage). This formula can also be written as: Discounted Price = Original Price x (1 - Discount Percentage).

3. How do I find the discount percentage?

To find the discount percentage, divide the amount discounted from the original price by the original price. Then, multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage. For example, if the original price is $100 and the discounted price is $80, the discount percentage would be (100-80)/100 x 100 = 20%.

4. What is the difference between a discount and a sale?

A discount is a reduction in the price of an item, while a sale is a temporary event where items are sold at a discounted price. Discounts can also be applied to individual items, while sales usually apply to a group of items or the entire store.

5. Can I apply multiple discounts to one item?

In most cases, no. Most discounts cannot be combined with other discounts or promotions. However, some stores may allow stacking of discounts under certain conditions. It is best to check with the store's policies or ask a store employee for clarification.