How to evaluate a function matrix at a point in Scientific Notebook

In summary, you can use the built-in command for Newton's Method in Sci NB to solve your equation by defining variables and plugging in the initial values.
Hercuflea
Hi all,

I need to evaluate a matrix of functions. I got the jacobian matrix, and I need to run Newton's Method for systems of nonlinear equations on it. I have the right functions/matrix, but I don't know how to PLUG IN values for x,y,and z in scientific notebook. I need to iterate 5 times starting with (1,1,1). Look at the attached picture and you'll see what I'm talking about. No way I can plug that in by hand 5 iterations. I don't need you to give me any answers, just to tell me how to PLUG IN numbers in Sci NB for matrices with variables in them.

Thanks!

Attachments

• jacobianpic.png
    jacobianpic.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the built-in Sci NB command for Newton's Method in order to solve your equation. The command is “Newton[f,x0]” where f is the function and x0 is the initial value in which you want to start the iteration. The command will then iterate until it finds a solution or a maximum number of iterations has been reached. You can specify the maximum number of iterations by adding a third argument to the command, e.g. “Newton[f,x0,5]”. In order to plug in your initial values, you will need to define them as variables. For example, if you want to start with (1,1,1) as your initial values, you can define three variables x, y, and z, and set their values to 1, like this: x=1; y=1; z=1; Once you have defined the variables, you can call the Newton command with the matrix of functions and the variables as arguments, like this: Newton[matrix,{x,y,z},5]This will run the Newton's Method for 5 iterations, starting from the initial values of (1,1,1). I hope this helps.

FAQ: How to evaluate a function matrix at a point in Scientific Notebook

1. How do I input a function matrix in Scientific Notebook?

To input a function matrix in Scientific Notebook, go to the "Insert" tab and select "Matrix". Then, choose the size of your matrix and enter the functions in each cell.

2. Can I evaluate a function matrix at a specific point in Scientific Notebook?

Yes, you can evaluate a function matrix at a specific point in Scientific Notebook. Simply select the cell where you want the result to appear and use the "Evaluate" function with the desired point as the argument.

3. How do I edit a function matrix in Scientific Notebook?

To edit a function matrix in Scientific Notebook, double-click on the matrix to enter the editing mode. You can then make changes to the functions or the size of the matrix.

4. Is it possible to graph a function matrix in Scientific Notebook?

Yes, Scientific Notebook has a built-in graphing tool that allows you to graph a function matrix. Simply select the matrix and click on the "Graph" button in the toolbar.

5. Can I use variables in a function matrix in Scientific Notebook?

Yes, you can use variables in a function matrix in Scientific Notebook. Simply define the variables before entering the functions in the matrix, and the software will automatically substitute the values when evaluating the matrix at a point.