How to evaluate a surface integral involving a paraboloid and a cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the surface integral ∫∫ydS on a part of the paraboloid y = x^2+z^2 within the cylinder x^2+z^2 = 4. The double integral could be rewritten in different forms, but it seems difficult to integrate. Converting to polar coordinates, the integral becomes ∫∫r^2*√(4r^2+1)rdrdθ, but there is uncertainty on how to integrate r^3*√(4r^2+1). The solution suggests rewriting the integral and using the substitution u=4r^2+1.
bodensee9
I am wondering if someone could help me evaluate the following:
I am asked to find the surface integral ∫∫ydS where S is part of the paraboloid y = x^2+z^2 that lies inside the cylinder x^2+z^2 = 4.
The double integral could be rewritten as ∫∫y*√(4(x^2+z^2)+1)dS, or ∫∫(x^2+z^2)*√(4(x^2+z^2))dxdz. But this seems very difficult to integrate, so if I convert to polar coordinates, I should have ∫∫r^2*√(4r^2+1)rdrdθ, where r is between 0 and 2 and θ is between 0 and 2π. But I’m not really sure how to integrate r^3*√(4r^2+1)? Or did I set this up incorrectly? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:
I am wondering if someone could help me evaluate the following:
I am asked to find the surface integral ∫∫ydS where S is part of the paraboloid y = x^2+z^2 that lies inside the cylinder x^2+z^2 = 4.
The double integral could be rewritten as ∫∫y*√(4(x^2+z^2)+1)dS, or ∫∫(x^2+z^2)*√(4(x^2+z^2))dxdz. But this seems very difficult to integrate, so if I convert to polar coordinates, I should have ∫∫r^2*√(4r^2+1)rdrdθ, where r is between 0 and 2 and θ is between 0 and 2π. But I’m not really sure how to integrate r^3*√(4r^2+1)? Or did I set this up incorrectly? Thanks.
Write [itex]r^3\sqrt{4r^2+ 1}dr[/itex] as [itex] r^2\sqrt{4r^2+ 1}(rdr)[/itex] and let [itex]u= 4r^2+1[/itex].

Many thanks.

Related to How to evaluate a surface integral involving a paraboloid and a cylinder?

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a function over a given surface. It involves breaking the surface into small pieces and summing up the contributions of each piece to the total value.

2. What is the difference between a single and a double surface integral?

A single surface integral is used to calculate the value of a function over a two-dimensional surface, while a double surface integral is used to calculate the value of a function over a three-dimensional surface.

3. How is a surface integral evaluated?

A surface integral is evaluated by first parameterizing the surface and then using an appropriate integration technique, such as the double or triple integral, to calculate the value over the surface.

4. What are some applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface, to find the center of mass of a 3D object, and to calculate the surface area of a curved object, among others.

5. What are some common challenges in evaluating surface integrals?

One of the main challenges in evaluating surface integrals is finding a suitable parameterization for the surface. Additionally, dealing with complicated surfaces or functions can make the integration process more difficult. It is also important to carefully consider the orientation of the surface and the direction of the normal vector in order to correctly evaluate the integral.