How to explain Bell's theorem to non-scientists

edfriedmanis65
How did you find PF?: Wandering on the internet looking for answers about Bell's theorem

I teach adult education at 2 universities near Denver and I'm writing a book for non-scientists interested in quantum mechanics and its foundations. The challenge is to present the concepts digestibly without resorting to mathematics. Of course, one of the key topics in quantum is Bell's theorem so I have worked hard to provide my students with a vision of what Bell was talking about without forcing them to go through the bras and kets that are common in quantum mechanics books, even the ones for undergraduates.

So, I am always looking for analogies and compelling artwork to help me create instructional materials that will work for my senior citizen students. Perhaps you have comments on the approach I have attached.

Attachments

• Appendix 1 Simple Examples of Bell's Inqualities .pdf
    425.7 KB · Views: 1
Physics news on Phys.org
To communicate the gist of the Bell inequality, I say this:

If A and B are only 10 percent different from each other, and B and C are only 10 percent different from each other, then it should not be possible for A and C to be more than 20 percent different from each other. But when the measurements are made, that's the kind of thing that's being seen. So there's some kind of "cheating" going on - somehow the choice of measurements is affecting what is being measured.