How to extract physical meaning from differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving coupled differential equations and the expression for kinetic energy. The goal is to analyze the system and determine the potential energy. The equations involve velocities and displacements, and it is proposed that (r^2+1) is a representation of mass. However, this is not necessarily the case and the system may not have a physical representation. The discussion also touches on the concept of Lyapunov functions and GAS stability.
sanyc

Homework Statement

I am given the following coupled differential equations:

\begin{align}
(r^2+1)\ddot{θ}+2r\dot{r}\dot{θ} &= u1\\
\ddot{r}-r\dot{θ}^2&=u2
\end{align}

together with the following expression for the kinetic energy:

\begin{align}
T &= 0.5(r^2+1)\dot{θ}^2+0.5\dot{r}^2
\end{align}

Homework Equations

The problem asks to also take into consideration the potential energy in order to further analyze the system.

1) How do I analyzed the two equations given in order to identify the potential energy?

2) Also what is the thinking behind a system of equations in order to extract the physical meaning thus identifying the potential energy (and in general any other physical quantities)?

The Attempt at a Solution

My reasoning is as follows: it is clear from the expression of the kinetic energy that the two velocities associated with the system are: ##\hspace{0.3cm} \dot{θ} \hspace{0.3cm} and \hspace{0.3cm} \dot{r} ##

Also ##\hspace{0.3cm} θ \hspace{0.3cm} and \hspace{0.3cm} r \hspace{0.3cm} ## are displacements.

Does that means that mass is given by:##\hspace{0.3cm} (r^2+1) \hspace{0.3cm}## ? If that is true, what kind of mass changes as it moves? Also if this is expression is mass then it will become huge if it moves a few hundreds of meters.

In regard to the potential energy I am thinking about gravitational potential energy. I excluded elastic potential energy since I am not given any spring constants, and electric potential energy is out of the question. Is there any other form of PE I am missing out?

If gravitational potential energy is the correct form then we have for the first diff. eqtn: ##\hspace{0.3cm} PE = mgh =m(ma)h= (r^2+1)( (r^2+1) \ddot{θ}) θ = (r^2+1)^2 \ddot{θ} θ \hspace{0.3cm}## .
Notice how I wrote the gravity as a product of the mass times acceleration; I could also use the gravitational constant.

Similarly for the second equation, the PE comes out: ##\hspace{0.3cm} PE = mgh = 1(1\ddot{r})r = \ddot{r}r \hspace{0.3cm}## .
From the given expression for the Kinetic Energy I thought that the mass for the second equation dynamics is 1 kg.

In reality the problem is much more than that; the expression for the Kinetic Energy for the coupled system is a Lyapunov function and we want to prove GAS stability at the origin by taking into account also the Potential Energy. So basically we want to show that zero is the largest invariant set contained in ##\hspace{0.3cm} \dot{V}\hspace{0.3cm}## (Assuming V(x) is pos. def. and radially unbounded;which comes out to be). We are also given the expression for the inputs u1 and u2; I can provide them if someone wants to figure things out further, but my questions are regarding the physical meaning of the two equations and whether there exists any general procedure for determining the actual system.
Thanks a ton.

Physics news on Phys.org
(r^2+1) has some similarity to a mass, it is not a mass. This appears frequently when the actual velocity of an object is not proportional to the time-derivative of a coordinate. If you calculate the kinetic energy of an object in polar coordinates, you get a similar expression.

I can imagine a system that has this type of kinetic energy. A rotating disk with an additional mass that can move in- or outwards on the disk, but has to rotate together with the disk.
The system does not have to have such a representation, however. You can work with the equations even without a physical system behind them.

FAQ: How to extract physical meaning from differential equations

1. What are differential equations and why are they important in extracting physical meaning?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are important in extracting physical meaning because they can be used to describe physical phenomena and predict how a system will behave over time.

2. How do you solve differential equations to extract physical meaning?

To solve differential equations, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. These techniques allow you to find the general solution to the equation, which can then be used to extract physical meaning.

3. Can differential equations be used in any field of science?

Yes, differential equations can be used in many different fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, economics, and more. They are a powerful tool for modeling and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

4. What are some real-life examples of using differential equations to extract physical meaning?

Differential equations have been used to study various physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces, the growth and decay of populations, the spread of diseases, and the flow of fluids. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems, such as in the development of airplanes and cars.

5. How can I use differential equations to validate experimental data?

By using differential equations to model a physical system, you can compare the results of the model to experimental data and see if they match. If they do, it provides strong evidence that the model accurately represents the system and can be used to extract physical meaning from the data. If they do not match, it may indicate that the model needs to be refined or that there are other factors at play.