How to find a system of equations when the solution is given?

Lotto
TL;DR Summary
I have to find a system of equations with this solution ## {(1,2,0,3)^T+t(1,1,1,-2)^T+s(1,-1,3,0)^T;s,t \in \mathbb{R}} ## when we know that matrix of this equation has:

1. two non-zero rows
2. 3 non-zero rows.
My idea is that I could somehow use the fact that ##t(1,1,1,-2)^T+s(1,-1,3,0)^T## is the homogenous solution of the system. But what to do? Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a plane ##P## in 4D space ##\mathbb{R}^4.## The homogenous solution ##P_0## is a parallel plane where the origin has been moved from ##\vec{v}_0=(1,2,0,3)^T## to ##(0,0,0,0)^T.## The other two vectors ##\vec{v}_1\, , \,\vec{v}_2## are the directions that span the plane.
$$
\vec{x}=\vec{v}_0 + P= \vec{v}_0 + \operatorname{span}\{\vec{v}_1,\vec{v}_2\}
$$
Your equation is the parameterized description of the plane. You could for instance choose combinations like ##(s,t)\in \{(0,1),(1,0)\}## to get three points on the plane which also characterizes ##P##.

I'm not quite sure whether the problem statement asks you to describe ##P## as a linear transformation of the standard basis ##\{\vec{e}_1,\vec{e}_2,\vec{e}_3,\vec{e}_4\}## in ##\mathbb{R}^4## into a basis ##\{\vec{v}_1,\vec{v}_2,\vec{e}_3,\vec{e}_4\}## (or the other way around. I tend to confuse the directions of basis transformations. I struggle between whether the bases are transformed or the subspaces), ...

... or to describe ##P_0## as the solution of ##A\cdot \vec{x}=\vec{0}.##