How to find absolute min/max of f(x)=x^3+3x^2-24x+1 on[-1,4]

In summary: And please do not post homework questions in the main forums. Homework Statement How to find absolute min/max of f(x)=x^3+3x^2-24x+1 on[-1,4]I need to find the absolute min and absolute max.Homework EquationsThe Attempt at a Solution In summary, to find the absolute min and max of a function on a given interval, we first take the derivative and set it to equal 0 to find critical numbers. We then test these critical numbers along with the endpoints of the interval to find the absolute min and max values. In this specific problem, the critical numbers are x=-4 and x=2, and the endpoints are x=-1 and
brandon cheatham

Homework Statement

I need to find the absolute min and absolute max.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first took the derivative, reduced, and set it to equal 0 to find crit numbers.
x^2+2x-8=0
Factored.
(x+4)(x-2) = 0
so x=-4 or x=2 but since -4 is not on the interval i threw it out and kept 2 as my only crit #
I plugged in my critical number along with my LB and RB numbers to find:
Aboslute Max. to be (-1,23)
Absolute Min. to be (2-27)

Am I doing this correctly? This was a take home quiz given in my calculus class and I want to make sure it is correct before I turn it in. Thanks! 234
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brandon:

You need to include the end points of the range, -1 and 4, whether or not they derivative is zero for those values. Then you need to evaluate f(x) at the derivative's zeros and at the boundaries.

Regards,
Buzz

brandon cheatham said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the absolute min and absolute max.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first took the derivative, reduced, and set it to equal 0 to find crit numbers.
x^2+2x-8=0
Factored.
(x+4)(x-2) = 0
so x=-4 or x=2 but since -4 is not on the interval i threw it out and kept 2 as my only crit #
I plugged in my critical number along with my LB and RB numbers to find:
Aboslute Max. to be (-1,23)
Absolute Min. to be (2-27)

Am I doing this correctly? This was a take home quiz given in my calculus class and I want to make sure it is correct before I turn it in. Thanks! 234[/B]
Please read the posting guidelines. Specifically, you are requested not to use large or bold face fonts, nor to post equations in the subject line of the post.

Related to How to find absolute min/max of f(x)=x^3+3x^2-24x+1 on[-1,4]

1. How do I find the absolute minimum and maximum values of a cubic function?

To find the absolute minimum and maximum values of a cubic function, you can use the first and second derivatives of the function. The absolute minimum and maximum values will occur at critical points, where the first derivative is equal to 0, and at the endpoints of the interval.

2. How do I take the first and second derivatives of a cubic function?

To find the first derivative of a cubic function, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). To find the second derivative, you can use the power rule again on the first derivative. Alternatively, you can use a computer or calculator to take the derivatives for you.

3. What do I do with the critical points I find?

Once you have found the critical points of the cubic function, you can plug them back into the original function to find the corresponding y-values. The highest y-value will be the absolute maximum, and the lowest y-value will be the absolute minimum.

4. How do I know which critical points to use?

In this case, the function is defined on the interval [-1,4], so you only need to consider critical points that fall within this interval. You can also use the first and second derivatives to determine if the critical points are maximum or minimum points.

5. Is there a shortcut or formula for finding the absolute maximum and minimum values?

There is no one formula that can be used for all cubic functions, as the location of critical points and the shape of the graph can vary. However, using the first and second derivatives can provide a systematic approach for finding the absolute maximum and minimum values of any cubic function on a given interval.