How to find all pairs, triplets, etc in MatLab?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter elhabby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the average of all possible pairs, triplets, etc. from a set of 30 timeseries measurements in MATLAB. The speaker is a beginner and is seeking help with this task. They are also asked to explain their process for averaging on paper and translate it into MATLAB instructions. The process is to be repeated for triplets.
elhabby
Hi,

I´m a complete MatLab noob and just started using it. I have a set of 30 timeseries measurements (so for a period of 100 years I have 30 measurements for every year, but some years do not have all 30 measurements) and I am trying to find the average of all possible pairs, triplets, etc until the full 30 average for every year. This is probably relatively simple to do if you understand MatLab, but unfortunately I do not, so if anyone can help me with this problem, I´d much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
How would you go about averaging all possible pairs on paper? In a systematic way?
Translate that process into MATLAB instructions.

Repeat for triplets.

note "...until the full 30 average for every year" makes no sense.

FAQ: How to find all pairs, triplets, etc in MatLab?

1. How do I find all pairs, triplets, etc in MatLab?

To find all pairs, triplets, or any other set of elements in MatLab, you can use the "combnk" function. This function takes in a vector of elements and a number "k" indicating the size of the sets you want to find. It then returns all possible combinations of elements in sets of size "k".

2. Can I specify the types of elements to be included in the pairs or triplets?

Yes, you can use the "combnk" function with an additional input argument to specify the types of elements you want to include. For example, if you want to find all pairs of integers from a given vector, you can use "combnk(vector, 2, 'integer')".

3. How do I save the results of finding all pairs, triplets, etc in MatLab?

You can save the results of the "combnk" function by assigning the output to a variable, and then using the "save" function to save the variable to a file. You can also use the "dlmwrite" function to save the results to a text file.

4. Is there a limit to the number of elements in a set that can be found using "combnk" in MatLab?

Yes, the maximum number of elements that can be included in a set using the "combnk" function is 36. This is because it uses a binary representation to generate combinations, and 36 is the maximum number that can be represented using 64-bit integers.

5. Can I find all unique pairs, triplets, etc in a given set using MatLab?

Yes, you can use the "unique" function in combination with the "combnk" function to find all unique pairs, triplets, etc in a given set. The "unique" function removes any duplicate combinations generated by the "combnk" function.