How to Find an Isomorphic Representation for K5?

In summary, the problem asks you to find an isomorphic representation (graph) of a 5-vertex graph, denoted by K5. You are asked to give the isomorphism mappings between the vertices of K5 and the vertices of K5.
Joystar77
Consider the complete graph with 5 vertices, denoted by K5.

C. Find an isomorphic representation (graph) of K5. Give the isomorphism mappings.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct?

One dot on graph = K1
One dot on graph = K2
One dot on graph = K3
One dot on graph = K4
One dot on graph = K5

K1 = points its connected to on graph
K2 = points its connected to on graph
K3 = points its connected to on graph
K4 = points its connected to on graph
K5 = points its connected to on graph

Would I have to make up an adjacency list and an adjacency matrix? Just asking this because when I watched a video on Youtube it mentioned this in a video about Isomorphic representation (graph). If this is not correct, then can somebody please correct it for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Joystar1977 said:
Consider the complete graph with 5 vertices, denoted by K5.

C. Find an isomorphic representation (graph) of K5. Give the isomorphism mappings.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct?

One dot on graph = K1
One dot on graph = K2
One dot on graph = K3
One dot on graph = K4
One dot on graph = K5
Phrases like "One dot on graph = K3" don't make sense to me. You have to have objects of the same type on both sides of the equal sign. You cannot say, "1 apple = 1 orange" because apples and oranges are not comparable. Similarly, "One dot on graph" is one dot, while K3 is a graph, not a dot. I am not sure how you compare the two.

Joystar1977 said:
K1 = points its connected to on graph
K2 = points its connected to on graph
K3 = points its connected to on graph
K4 = points its connected to on graph
K5 = points its connected to on graph
I don't understand "K3 = points its connected to on graph" either. Should it say, "it's"? What graph are you talking about?

The problem asks you to "give the isomorphism mappings". An isomorphism of K5 to itself is a mapping (more precisely, a bijection) from the set of vertices of K5 to the set of vertices of K5. If you denote vertices of K5 by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, then an isomorphism is a bijection from the set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} to itself. Note that every such bijection is a graph isomorphism because every two vertices of K5 are connected.

Hello Evgeny.Makarov! I will let you know and try to explain deeper about what I mean.
Would the graph be drawn up kind of in the shape of a tree? Would I have to make up an adjacency list and adjacency matrix to see what points that K1, K2, K3, K4, and K5 are connected to? For example, if K1 is connected to points K2 and K3 then I would put a 1 and if they aren't connected to K4 and K5 then I would put a 0.

Joystar1977 said:
Would the graph be drawn up kind of in the shape of a tree?
No. All graphs isomorphic to K5 are also K5; they all look the same.

Joystar1977 said:
Would I have to make up an adjacency list and adjacency matrix to see what points that K1, K2, K3, K4, and K5 are connected to? For example, if K1 is connected to points K2 and K3 then I would put a 1 and if they aren't connected to K4 and K5 then I would put a 0.
First, I think we are using K2, K3 and so on in different senses. It seems to me that when you write K2, you mean the second vertex of the graph K5. In fact, K2 is itself a graph, a complete graph on two vertices, i.e., two vertices connected by an edge.

Second, the problem statement does not ask you to make up an adjacency list and adjacency matrix. It asks you only to give the isomorphism mappings. I am not sure why "mappings" is in plural. According to Wikipedia,

"In graph theory, an isomorphism of graphs G and H is a bijection between the vertex sets of G and H
\[f \colon V(G) \to V(H)\]
such that any two vertices u and v of G are adjacent in G if and only if ƒ(u) and ƒ(v) are adjacent in H."

So, an isomorphism is a single map from vertices to vertices. To write such a map, you denote vertices (e.g., by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and then say which vertex is mapped into which vertex. For example, 1 is mapped to 4. Note that every bijection between vertices is a graph isomorphism in the case of somplete graphs.

Your response is not entirely correct. An isomorphic representation of K5 would be a graph with 5 vertices, where each vertex is connected to every other vertex. This means that the graph would have 5 dots (vertices) and 10 lines (edges) connecting them.

An adjacency list and an adjacency matrix are not necessary for an isomorphic representation. These are tools used to represent and analyze graphs, but they are not required for an isomorphic representation.

The isomorphism mappings for K5 would be:
- Vertex 1 in K5 maps to vertex A in the isomorphic representation
- Vertex 2 in K5 maps to vertex B in the isomorphic representation
- Vertex 3 in K5 maps to vertex C in the isomorphic representation
- Vertex 4 in K5 maps to vertex D in the isomorphic representation
- Vertex 5 in K5 maps to vertex E in the isomorphic representation

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of isomorphic representation. Remember, isomorphism means that two structures have the same underlying structure, but may look different. In this case, K5 and the isomorphic representation may look different, but they have the same structure of 5 vertices, each connected to every other vertex.

Related to How to Find an Isomorphic Representation for K5?

1. What is isomorphic representation?

Isomorphic representation is a concept in mathematics and physics that refers to a mathematical structure being able to be mapped onto another structure in a way that preserves the relationships between elements. In other words, it is a one-to-one correspondence between two structures that preserves their properties.

2. What is an example of isomorphic representation?

A common example of isomorphic representation is between the real number system and the complex number system. The real numbers can be mapped onto a subset of the complex numbers in a way that preserves their algebraic operations and properties.

3. What is the importance of isomorphic representation?

Isomorphic representation is important because it allows us to study complex structures by using simpler, more familiar structures. It also helps us to identify similarities and differences between different mathematical systems and to understand their properties in a deeper way.

4. How is isomorphic representation used in science?

Isomorphic representation is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It helps scientists to describe and analyze complex systems, such as molecules and cells, by using simpler models that are easier to work with. It also allows for the development of new theories and predictions about the behavior of these systems.

5. What are the limitations of isomorphic representation?

One limitation of isomorphic representation is that it only applies to structures that have the same underlying properties and relationships. This means that it cannot be used to represent all systems and may not fully capture the complexity of certain structures. Additionally, isomorphic representation does not always provide a complete understanding of a system, as it may only focus on certain aspects and ignore others.