How to find analytic continuation?

In summary: So the residue at that point needs to be taken into account as well. This may lead to a different analytic continuation for f(z) in the lower half-plane.
chientewu
The following is the problem from Fetter and Walecka (problem 3.7)

If f(z) is defined to be the integration of rho(x) * (z-x)^(-1) from -infinity to +infinity. rho is in the following form
rho(x)=gamma * ( gamma^2+x^2 )^(-1).
Evaluate f(z) explicitly for Im(z)>0 and find its analytic continuation to Im(z)<0

First, I assumed gamma is real and positive and used the residue theorem, then I got
f(z)=pi * (z+i*gamma)^(-1), My question is how to find its analytic continuation to Im(z)<0.

Another question is that I found f(z) takes a different form if I assumed gamma is pure imaginary. It doesn't make sense to me.

Could you help me with these two questions? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lemme' see if I have this right: You have the function f(z) defined in the upper half-plane for constant gamma as:

[tex]f(z)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\gamma}{(\gamma^2+x^2)(z-x)}dx,\quad Im(z)>0[/tex]

and when you compute that for [itex]Re(\gamma)\ne 0[/itex] you get:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{\pi}{z+i\gamma}[/tex]

and you want the analytic continuation of [itex]f(z)[/itex] into the lower half-plane. But the quantity [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{z+i\gamma}[/itex] is analytic everywhere in the complex plane except the point [itex]z=-i\gamma[/itex] and is equal to your function in the upper half-plane when [itex]\gamma[/itex] is not on the imaginary axis. Then isn't this expression the analytic extension of the function to the lower half-plane? Granted, it's not equal to the integral down there but that's not what you're asking for. You want the analytic continuation of the function f(z) which has an integral representation given when Im(z)>0 and at least for now, when gamma is not on the imaginary axis.

That's what I'm goin' with. What do you think?

If the imaginary part of z is greater than 0, don't you have another pole in the upper half plane when evaluating the integral using the residue theorem?

vela said:
If the imaginary part of z is greater than 0, don't you have another pole in the upper half plane when evaluating the integral using the residue theorem?

Ok, I see that now. Need to add another. Sorry about that but I think the general principle is still valid right?

jackmell said:
Lemme' see if I have this right: You have the function f(z) defined in the upper half-plane for constant gamma as:

[tex]f(z)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\gamma}{(\gamma^2+x^2)(z-x)}dx,\quad Im(z)>0[/tex]

and when you compute that for [itex]Re(\gamma)\ne 0[/itex] you get:

and you want the analytic continuation of [itex]f(z)[/itex] into the lower half-plane. But the quantity [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{z+i\gamma}[/itex] is analytic everywhere in the complex plane except the point [itex]z=-i\gamma[/itex] and is equal to your function in the upper half-plane when [itex]\gamma[/itex] is not on the imaginary axis. Then isn't this expression the analytic extension of the function to the lower half-plane? Granted, it's not equal to the integral down there but that's not what you're asking for. You want the analytic continuation of the function f(z) which has an integral representation given when Im(z)>0 and at least for now, when gamma is not on the imaginary axis.

That's what I'm goin' with. What do you think?

Thanks a lot. My question now becomes "can we call [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{z+i\gamma}[/itex] it an analytic continuation?", since there is a pole when Im(z)<0.

Ok, look. I made a mistake rushing with this. Need to compute the residues correctly. I think they're only two. When I do that I get:

and that's analytic over the complex plane except when [itex]z=-i\gamma[/itex] but equals your function in the upper half plane so in my opinion that is the analytic continuation of the function f(z) which is representied by the integral when z is in the upper half-plane.

chientewu said:
Thanks a lot. My question now becomes "can we call [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{z+i\gamma}[/itex] it an analytic continuation?", since there is a pole when Im(z)<0.

When Im(z)<0, then the integral representation of the function f(z) no longer represents the function. With regards to analytic continuation of f(z), the integral is equal to the function only when Im(z)>0. I think we need to distinguish between the function f(z) and the integral that's attempting to represent the function when Im(z)>0.

I think that's right anyway.

If I may add to this cus' I'll like to get a grip on it too: the purpose of analytic continuation is to continue the function to a larger domain , not analytically continue the expression that represents the function in a restricted domain. And keep in mind analytic continuation is unique. So that if the expression above is identically equal to f(z) in the upper half-plane but is also analytic in a larger domain (in this case all of C except at that pole), then that is the only expression that can be the analytic continuation of f(z).

Last edited:
I think you also need to consider the case where [itex]z=i\gamma[/itex]. In that case, the integrand will have a second-order pole [itex]i\gamma[/itex].

Related to How to find analytic continuation?

1. How do I determine the analytic continuation of a function?

The analytic continuation of a function is determined by extending the function's domain beyond its original definition. This is done by using complex analysis techniques, such as Cauchy's integral formula and the Cauchy-Riemann equations, to find a suitable analytic function that agrees with the original function on its domain and extends it to the desired region.

2. What is the importance of analytic continuation in mathematics and physics?

Analytic continuation is important in mathematics and physics because it allows us to extend the concepts of real analysis to complex analysis. This allows us to solve problems that cannot be solved using real numbers alone and has applications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and number theory.

3. Can any function be analytically continued?

No, not all functions can be analytically continued. In order for a function to have an analytic continuation, it must satisfy certain conditions, such as being analytic on its domain and having a unique limit at each point in its domain.

4. How can I use analytic continuation to evaluate complex integrals?

Analytic continuation can be used to evaluate complex integrals by extending the integrand to a larger domain where the integral can be evaluated using real analysis techniques. This allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve using traditional methods.

5. Are there any real-world applications of analytic continuation?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of analytic continuation. One example is in signal processing, where it is used to extend discrete signals to continuous ones. It is also used in image processing, computer graphics, and data analysis, among others.