How to find average angular velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab where the participants found the number of revolutions in 2 minutes. The results were 344, 332, and 330 revolutions. The homework asked to find the average angular velocity, which was calculated by adding the revolutions and dividing by 3, and then using the equation 1 rev = 2pi rad/60s to get the value of 52.7 rad/s. There was some confusion about the third trial value, which was later corrected to be 330 revolutions.
kee23

Homework Statement

I had a physics lab and we found the 3 trials of revolution in 2 min then the result came as 1st=344rev
2nd=332rev
3rd=330rev
(These numbers is from the calculation of Final (2min) - Initial start)
Then it asked to find the average angular velocity for three of results.

Homework Equations

1 rev= 2pi rad/60s

The Attempt at a Solution

First I added all the revolutions 344+332+330 then converted to get average angular v
1006rev/2min*2*pi(rad)/60s= 52.7rad/s
Did I got it right?
EDITED

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what is spinning, but why is your 3rd trial value so high?? The average number of revolutions is the sum of the revolutions divided by three; once you get this average, then the average angular velocity is per your equation, but with the corrected value for the average number of revolutions inserted therein.

my bad. the 3rd is 330rev.
Umm I'm not quite follow.
t

kee23 said:
my bad. the 3rd is 330rev.
Umm I'm not quite follow.
t
you stated
First I added all the revolutions 344+332+330
why are you adding them...to find the average, you add them and divide by 3... if 3 friends are 6,7, and 8 years old, their average age is (6 + 7 + 8)/3 = 21/3 = 7 years old, right? So use your average revs in the last equation and you should get the right answer for the average angular velocity based on the three trials...

Related to How to find average angular velocity?

1. What is average angular velocity?

Average angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circle over a certain amount of time. It is typically expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is average angular velocity calculated?

Average angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the average angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between average angular velocity and instantaneous angular velocity?

Average angular velocity is the overall rate of change of angular displacement over a period of time, while instantaneous angular velocity is the rate of change at a specific moment in time. Average angular velocity is calculated using the change in angular displacement over a period of time, while instantaneous angular velocity is calculated using the change in angular displacement at a specific instant.

4. How do you measure average angular velocity?

The average angular velocity can be measured using a timer and a protractor. Place the protractor at the center of rotation and record the time it takes for the object to make a complete rotation. Then, calculate the change in angular displacement and divide it by the change in time to find the average angular velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of average angular velocity?

Average angular velocity is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. In physics, it is used to study the motion of objects rotating about a fixed axis. In engineering, it is used to design and analyze rotating machinery. In sports, it is used to analyze the performance of athletes in sports like figure skating, gymnastics, and diving.