How to find bases for subspaces

And, yes, a basis is {(1, 0, 0, 0, -1), (0, 1, 1, 1, 0)}.In summary, to find a basis and dimension for a given subspace in F^5, you can use linear algebra to determine the number of basic and free variables, and then create a matrix configuration using the basic variables to find a basis. In a similar problem in F^4, where the subspace W is given such that a2=a3=a4 and a1=-a5, the basis is {(1, 0, 0, 0, -1), (0, 1, 1, 1,
quasar_4

Homework Statement

I'm given a subspace in F^5 (not sure how to note that online) and asked to find a basis and dimension for it. I know it should be really easy, but ...

Homework Equations

We're given subspace W1 = {a1,a2,a3,a4,a5) in F^5: a1-a3-a4=0} .

We also know from linear algebra that dim (W) </= dim (V), and that we know the dimension from the number of vectors in the basis.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the given "constraint", if I can call it that, I can put a1 in terms of a3 and a4 such that a1 = a3 + a4. It seems that from this point, there are 3 basic variables (a1, a2, and a5) and 2 free variables (a3, a4). From this point I made a sort of matrix configuration that

(a1,a2,a3,a4,a5) = t1 (1,0,1,0,1) + t2 (0,1,0,0,0) + t3 (0,0,1,0,0) + t4 (0,0,0,1,0) where t1,t2,t3,t4 are just arbitrary parameters -- I guess coefficients of the linear combination made by these vectors.

I guess I'm confused about this sort of problem compared to the theoretical part of this math -- obviously I don't quite understand what's going on here. :rolleyes:

I also know that the dimension of W1 must be less than or equal to 5 (it would be 4 for the basis I made above), since it is in the vector space F^5 and dim (W1) </= dim (V). The dimension part I can figure out, it's just finding the basis that I'm lost. I guess my answer could be right, but it doesn't match what any of my classmates have, so I'm assuming this is wrong. Any help/explanation of finding bases is much needed/appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector in W is of the form (a3+a4, a2, a3, a4, a5). So, this implies (a1, a2, a3, a4, a5) = a3(1, 0, 1, 0, 0) + a4(1, 0, 0, 1, 0) + a2(0, 1, 0, 0, 0) + a5(0, 0, 0, 0, 1). So the set of vectors {(1, 0, 1, 0, 0),(1, 0, 0, 1, 0),(0, 1, 0, 0, 0),(0, 0, 0, 0, 1)} is a candidate for a basis. Of course, one has to show that the set is linearly independent (which is quite obvious here, but anyway).

You have the equation a1- a2- a3- a4= 0 so a1= a2+ a3+ a4. That means you can pick a2, a3, a4 arbitrarily and calculate a1. Your subspace is 3 dimensional.

An easy way to find a basis is to let each of a2, a3, and a4 equal 1 in turn while the others are 0.
First a2= 1, a3= a4= 0 so a1= 1. A basis vector is (1, 1, 0, 0).
Then a3=1, a2= a4= 0 so a1= 1. A basis vector is (1, 0, 1, 0).
Now a4= 1, a2= a3= 0 so a1= 1. A basis vector is (1, 0, 0, 1).

this makes sooo much more sense. So for a similar problem, also in F4, where the subspace W is given such that a2=a3=a4 and a1=-a5, every vector in W can be written as (a1,a2,a3,a4,a5)=(-a5,a2,a2,a2,a5)=a5(-1,0,0,0,1) + a2 (0,1,1,1,0). Then a basis is given by {(-1,0,0,0,1),(0,1,1,1,0)} and the dim (W)=2. At least I think so...

quasar_4 said:
this makes sooo much more sense. So for a similar problem, also in F4, where the subspace W is given such that a2=a3=a4 and a1=-a5, every vector in W can be written as (a1,a2,a3,a4,a5)=(-a5,a2,a2,a2,a5)=a5(-1,0,0,0,1) + a2 (0,1,1,1,0). Then a basis is given by {(-1,0,0,0,1),(0,1,1,1,0)} and the dim (W)=2. At least I think so...

That's correct.

quasar_4 said:
Except that it is not in F4, it is in F5, or you wouldn't have that "a5"! Notice that you have 3 equations, a1=-a5, a2= a3, and a2= a4, (of course a3= a4 but that is not an independent equation) which reduces the dimension from 5 to 5-3= 2.

Related to How to find bases for subspaces

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains vectors that satisfy certain conditions, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

How do I determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace, you can use the dimension theorem. If the set of vectors spans the subspace and is linearly independent, then it is a basis for the subspace.

What is the process for finding bases for subspaces?

The process for finding bases for subspaces involves finding a set of vectors that span the subspace and are linearly independent. This can be done by solving a system of equations or using other methods such as the Gram-Schmidt process.

Can there be more than one basis for a subspace?

Yes, there can be more than one basis for a subspace. This is because a subspace can have multiple sets of vectors that span the subspace and are linearly independent.

How can I use bases for subspaces in practical applications?

Bases for subspaces are useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as linear algebra, computer graphics, and data analysis. They can be used to represent and manipulate data, solve systems of linear equations, and find optimal solutions to problems.