How to Find E(1/(1 + e^Z)) for a Normally Distributed Z?

• Thread starter Hejdun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the expected value of 1/(1 + e^Z) where Z is a normally distributed random variable. They mention that E(e^Z) and E(1/e^Z) follow lognormal and inverse lognormal distributions, respectively. They have tried using the moment generating function but have not been successful. Another person suggests using Gauss-Hermite quadrature for a numerical approximation, but the speaker is looking for an analytical answer.
Hejdun
Hi everyone,

I am stuck with this problem. I am looking for E(1/(1 + e^Z)) where Z is a normally distributed random variable.

I know that E(e^Z) and E(1/e^Z) follow lognormal and inverse lognormal distibution and the means of these distributions are standard results. Of course, is also easy to find E(e^Z + 1).

However regarding my problem, does anyone have a suggestion of how to proceed? I tried to use the moment generating function but got stuck...

Thanks in advance!
/Hejdun

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to bump this.

Still no ideas of how to solve this problem?

Of course, I can approximate it using Taylor expansion, but the
resulting expression isn't very nice.

/Hejdun

Maybe Gauss-Hermite quadrature will give you a decent approximation?

bpet said:
Maybe Gauss-Hermite quadrature will give you a decent approximation?

Yes, the integral may be evaluated numerically,
but I am looking for an analytical answer. I am not sure how the Gauss-Hermite quadrature would help for such a case.

Thanks.

/Hejdun

Hello Hejdun,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. In order to find the inverse of the shifted lognormal, we can use the fact that the inverse of a lognormal distribution is a gamma distribution. The shifted lognormal distribution is simply a lognormal distribution with a constant added to it. Therefore, the inverse of the shifted lognormal will also be a gamma distribution with a constant added to it.

The formula for the expected value of a gamma distribution with shape parameter α and scale parameter β is αβ. In your case, we can rewrite the expression as E(1/(1+e^Z)) = E(e^(-Z)/(1+e^Z)). We can then use the fact that the inverse of a lognormal distribution is a gamma distribution to rewrite this as E(e^(-Z)/(1+e^Z)) = E(1/e^Z) - E(1/(1+e^Z)). Since we already know the expected value of 1/e^Z, we can focus on finding the expected value of 1/(1+e^Z).

Using the formula for the expected value of a gamma distribution, we can rewrite this as E(1/(1+e^Z)) = αβ - E(e^Z). We know that the expected value of e^Z is e^(μ+σ^2/2), where μ and σ^2 are the mean and variance of the normal distribution. Therefore, we can further simplify this expression to E(1/(1+e^Z)) = αβ - e^(μ+σ^2/2).

In conclusion, the expected value of 1/(1+e^Z) for a shifted lognormal distribution is αβ - e^(μ+σ^2/2), where α and β are the shape and scale parameters of the corresponding gamma distribution. I hope this helps you with your problem. Best of luck!

FAQ: How to Find E(1/(1 + e^Z)) for a Normally Distributed Z?

What is an inverse of shifted lognormal distribution?

An inverse of shifted lognormal distribution is a probability distribution that models a continuous random variable whose logarithm is shifted and follows a normal distribution.

How is an inverse of shifted lognormal distribution different from a regular lognormal distribution?

An inverse of shifted lognormal distribution is similar to a regular lognormal distribution, but it has a shifted mean. This means that the distribution is centered around a value other than 0.

What are the applications of an inverse of shifted lognormal distribution?

An inverse of shifted lognormal distribution is commonly used in finance and economics to model stock prices, commodity prices, and other financial data. It is also used in engineering to model the reliability of systems and in biology to model the size of animal populations.

How is an inverse of shifted lognormal distribution calculated?

The inverse of shifted lognormal distribution is calculated using the cumulative distribution function (CDF) which takes into account the shifted mean and standard deviation. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the probability density function (PDF).

What are the properties of an inverse of shifted lognormal distribution?

An inverse of shifted lognormal distribution has several properties, including a positive skewness, a heavy right tail, and a unimodal shape. It is also symmetrical and can be transformed into a normal distribution through a logarithmic transformation.