How to find equation for a position vector function on a parabaloid?

That would have to be shown by some other argument.In summary, the given velocity vector can be represented as <sin(t)+C_1, cos(t)+C_2, 2cos(t)+C_3> and can be plugged into the equation z=x^2+y^2. However, this does not necessarily mean that the position vector needs to lie on the given surface, as two objects with the same velocity vector can be located at different distances from each other. Further analysis is needed to determine if the object must lie on the surface.
Thadis

Homework Statement

Velocity vector given by r'(t)=<cos(t), -sin(t), -2sin(t)>
Surface that the position vector needs to lie on: z=x2+y2

Homework Equations

Integral of r'(t) will give position function

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the integral of r'(t) will give me the position function down to a constant so I know the vector is something like <sin(t)+C_1, cos(t)+C_2, 2cos(t)+C_3> I just do not know how to figure out the different C's for the components. I have tried putting the components into the surfaces equation but it didnt turn out correct. Anyone have any advice of how to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thadis said:

Homework Statement

Velocity vector given by r'(t)=<cos(t), -sin(t), -2sin(t)>
Surface that the position vector needs to lie on: z=x2+y2

Homework Equations

Integral of r'(t) will give position function

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the integral of r'(t) will give me the position function down to a constant so I know the vector is something like <sin(t)+C_1, cos(t)+C_2, 2cos(t)+C_3> I just do not know how to figure out the different C's for the components. I have tried putting the components into the surfaces equation but it didnt turn out correct. Anyone have any advice of how to solve this problem.
]

Try plugging the components of that vector into the equation ##z=x^2+y^2## and see if you can pick values of your three constants to make it work.

The real difficulty is that the statement in the problem isn't true. Two object "miles" apart can have exactly the same velocity vector. An object having that velocity is not automatically costrained to lie on that surface. Doing what LCKurtz suggest would show that it is possible for an object having that velocity to stay on that surface. It would not show that it "needs to lie" on it.

FAQ: How to find equation for a position vector function on a parabaloid?

1. How do I determine the equation for a position vector function on a parabaloid?

To find the equation for a position vector function on a parabaloid, you will need to use the parametric equations for a parabaloid and substitute them into the general form of a position vector. This will give you a vector-valued function that describes the position of any point on the parabaloid.

2. What are the parametric equations for a parabaloid?

The parametric equations for a parabaloid are x = u*cos(v), y = u*sin(v), and z = u^2, where u and v are parameters that vary across the surface of the parabaloid.

3. Can I use other equations or methods to find the position vector function?

Yes, there are other methods and equations that can be used to find the position vector function for a parabaloid. These include using Cartesian coordinates and solving for the position vector using partial derivatives.

4. How do I graph the position vector function on a parabaloid?

To graph the position vector function on a parabaloid, you can use a 3D graphing calculator or software to plot the function. Alternatively, you can plot points by substituting different values for the parameters u and v into the function and connecting them to create a visual representation of the surface.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the position vector function for a parabaloid?

Yes, the position vector function for a parabaloid can be used in various fields such as engineering and physics to model the motion of objects on curved surfaces. It can also be used in computer graphics to create 3D models of parabaloids.