How to Find Equations for a Line Perpendicular to Two Vectors?

• Thread starter Black Jackal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, to find the parametric and symmetric equations for the line through P0 (3,3,0) and perpendicular to both given vectors (1,1,0) and (0,1,1), you can use the cross product of the two vectors to determine the direction of the line. Then, using the point P0, the parametric equation can be written as x = 3 + at, y = 3 + bt, z = ct and the symmetric equation as (x-3)/a = (y-3)/b = z/c.
Black Jackal

Homework Statement

Find parametric and symmetric equations for the line through P0 (3,3,0) and perpendicular to both given vectors (1,1,0) and (0,1,1)

Homework Equations

parametric: x=x0+at, y=y0+bt, z=z0+ct;
symmetric: x-x0/a=y-y0/b=z-z0/c

The Attempt at a Solution

What is first did is to find the cross product of i and j, but i don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
use the cross product of both your vectors to give you the direction of the line, say v

if p is the point your line goes through, then your line will be given by p + v.t

thanks a lot!

FAQ: How to Find Equations for a Line Perpendicular to Two Vectors?

What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is represented in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How do I find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by using the formula (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

What is the y-intercept of a line?

The y-intercept of a line is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. It is represented by the value of b in the equation y = mx + b.

Can I find the equation of a line using only one point and the slope?

Yes, you can use the point-slope formula y - y1 = m(x - x1) to find the equation of a line using one point and the slope.

What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear equation?

A linear equation has a constant slope and forms a straight line on a graph, while a nonlinear equation does not have a constant slope and can form a curve on a graph.