How to find magnitude of initial displacement?

In summary: The displacement is 0.32 m.In summary, the mass of 130 g is held by a horizontal spring with a constant of 22 N/m. When it is displaced and released, it reaches a speed of 4.2 m/s at its equilibrium position. The work done on the spring is 1.14, and the magnitude of the initial displacement is 0.32 m.
Sneakatone
A mass of 130 g is held by a horizontal spring constant 22 N/m. It is displaced from its equilibrium position and released from the rest. As it passes through its equilibrium position, its speed is 4.2 m/s.

a) find work done on the spring.
w=1/2mv^2
1/2(.13kg)(4.2)^2= 1.14 (correct)

b) what is the magnitude of the initial displacement?
I don't know what to do for this , I am guessing were suppose to find distance but I don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the work correct. Now you have to know how much displacement has been done for that amount of work.

The equation for the force of a spring is F = -kx, where x is the distance displaced from equilibrium. Thus, the work, which is ∫F dx = -k x^2 / 2. The negative sign signifies that the work is done on the system.

Thus, your value for work, W = k x^2 / 2, so x = √(2W/k).

can I do 0.13kg/22=0.005 m to get displacement?

never mind x=sqrt(2*1.14/22)=0.32 m
Thank you!

You are nearly right, but you forgot to include velocity. The displacement would be x = v√(m/k).

Your units do not make sense in that answer. (displacement ≠ kg / (N / m))

--- After your second comment, you are correct.

Last edited:

FAQ: How to find magnitude of initial displacement?

1. What is the definition of initial displacement?

The initial displacement is the distance and direction from the starting point of an object to its initial position. It is often denoted by the symbol x0.

2. How is initial displacement different from distance?

Initial displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the object's initial position, while distance is a scalar quantity that only represents the total length traveled by the object.

3. How can I calculate the magnitude of initial displacement?

The magnitude of initial displacement can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared x and y components of the initial displacement vector.

4. What if the initial displacement is in a different coordinate system?

If the initial displacement is given in a different coordinate system, it can be converted to the standard x-y coordinate system by using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of initial displacement?

The magnitude of initial displacement is important as it provides information about the starting position of an object, which is crucial for understanding its motion and predicting its future position. It also helps in calculating other important quantities such as velocity and acceleration.

Back