How to Find Maximum and Minimum Photon Energies in D Meson Decay?

In summary, for part (a), the energy of the pi meson in the D meson rest frame is 0.869 Gev/c^2. For part (b), the maximum and minimum energies of the photons can be calculated using the conservation of energy and momentum principles.
bon

Homework Statement

Ok so I am given the rest masses of D meson (1.86 GeV/c^2), pi meson (0.13 Gev/c^2) and K meson (0.5 Gev/c^2) and told that a D meson at rest decays into a K meson and pi meson. Told to calculate the energy and velocity of the pi meson..

Part (b) says the pi meson subsequently decays into a pair of photons. I'm asked to find the maximum and minimum energies of each photon in the D meson rest frame..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I think I did part (a) okay..found the energy of the pi meson to be 0.869 Gev/c^2...is this right?

I'm just not sure how to approach part (b)..

What does it mean by maximum and minimum energies of each photon? Won't the photons just move off in opposite directions with non equal momenta (depending on initial velocity of pi meson)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Yes, your calculation for the energy of the pi meson in part (a) is correct.

For part (b), you are correct in saying that the photons will move off in opposite directions with non-equal momenta. However, the photons will have a range of possible energies, with a maximum and minimum value. This is due to the fact that the pi meson has a specific energy, but the decay into two photons is a random process, meaning the energies of the photons will vary within a certain range.

To calculate the maximum and minimum energies of the photons, you can use the conservation of energy and momentum. The total energy and momentum of the system (D meson and two photons) must be equal before and after the decay. You can set up equations using this principle and solve for the maximum and minimum energies of the photons.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How to Find Maximum and Minimum Photon Energies in D Meson Decay?

1. What is special relativity decay?

Special relativity decay refers to the concept in physics that states that objects moving at high speeds will experience time dilation, meaning time will appear to pass slower for these objects compared to objects that are stationary or moving at slower speeds.

2. How does special relativity decay affect the decay of particles?

Special relativity decay can affect the decay of particles by causing them to decay at a slower rate when they are moving at high speeds. This is due to the time dilation effect, where time appears to pass slower for these particles, making their decay process appear slower as well.

3. Is special relativity decay the same as general relativity?

No, special relativity decay and general relativity are two different concepts in physics. Special relativity deals with the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, while general relativity deals with the effects of gravity on objects and the curvature of space-time.

4. How does special relativity decay impact our daily lives?

Special relativity decay may seem like a complex concept, but its effects are actually very small in our daily lives. The differences in time dilation between objects moving at high speeds and those that are stationary are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those reached by particles in particle accelerators.

5. Can special relativity decay be proven through experiments?

Yes, special relativity decay has been proven through various experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment which showed that atomic clocks on airplanes moving at high speeds had a slower rate of time compared to clocks on the ground. This has been confirmed by many other experiments and is a well-established concept in physics.