How to find minimum turning points

In summary: One is at x=\frac{\pi}{4}, the other at x=\frac{5\pi}{4}.In summary, to find the minimum turning points of the function f(x) = Asin2(x) + Bcos2(x) + Csin(2x), we first calculate the first derivative f'(x) = (A - B)sin(2x) + 2Ccos(2x). Then, setting f'(x) = 0, we can solve for x to find where turning points occur. To determine the minima, we look at the second derivative f''(x) = 2(A - B)cos(2x) - 4Csin(2x)
weetabixharry
I have a function:

f(x) = Asin2(x) + Bcos2(x) + Csin(2x)

and I want to find the minimum turning point(s). To start with, I calculated:

f'(x) = (A - B)sin(2x) + 2Ccos(2x)

Therefore, turning points occur when f'(x)=0, or:

tan(2x) = 2C / (B - A)

To find the minima, I then want to look at the 2nd derivative:

f''(x) = 2(A - B)cos(2x) - 4Csin(2x)

So, as far as I understand, minima will occur when both f'(x)=0 and f''(x)>0. So the second inequality can be expressed as:

2(A - B)cos(2x) > 4Csin(2x)

Now I'm having trouble knowing how to proceed. Since sin and cos can be positive or negative depending on x, I can't see a neat way of really understanding where the minima will be. Could anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
weetabixharry said:
I have a function:

f(x) = Asin2(x) + Bcos2(x) + Csin(2x)

and I want to find the minimum turning point(s). To start with, I calculated:

f'(x) = (A - B)sin(2x) + 2Ccos(2x)

Therefore, turning points occur when f'(x)=0, or:

tan(2x) = 2C / (B - A)

To find the minima, I then want to look at the 2nd derivative:

f''(x) = 2(A - B)cos(2x) - 4Csin(2x)

So, as far as I understand, minima will occur when both f'(x)=0 and f''(x)>0. So the second inequality can be expressed as:

2(A - B)cos(2x) > 4Csin(2x)

Now I'm having trouble knowing how to proceed. Since sin and cos can be positive or negative depending on x, I can't see a neat way of really understanding where the minima will be. Could anyone help?

Best to put [tex]
f(x) = \frac12(A + B) + \frac12(B - A)\cos(2x) + C \sin(2x)
= \frac12(A + B) + R\sin(2x + \alpha)
[/tex]
using [tex]
R\sin(2x + \alpha) = R\sin(\alpha)\cos(2x) + R\cos(\alpha)\sin(2x).
[/tex]
The minima then occur when [itex]\sin(2x + \alpha) = -1[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Okay that's really clever... it's taken me a while to figure out how that works.

So, if I have [itex]0 \leq x < 2\pi[/itex], I think taking the arcsin would give:[tex]\alpha+2x=\frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]Then, given how we've defined [itex]\alpha[/itex], I feel like we can say:[tex]\tan\alpha = \frac{(B-A)}{2C}[/tex]Putting those things together, I get:[tex]x=\frac{3\pi}{4}-\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}\left\{\frac{(B-A)}{2C}\right\}[/tex]Hmm... but given that tan(x) repeats itself twice on the interval I'm interested in [itex](0 \leq x < 2\pi)[/itex] ... I feel like I've just reintroduced ambiguity.

I'm a bit out of my depth, so I've crunched some numbers with some computer simulations... and this x seems to sometimes give the minimum, sometimes the maximum. I feel like I need to somehow constrain (B - A)/2C ... but at the moment I'm somewhere on a slippery slope to proving 1 = 0...

I've looked more closely at my problem and have determined three further constraints:[tex]A\geq0\\B\geq0\\C\sin(2x)\geq0[/tex]Imposing these constraints seems to provide a unique solution in my computer simulations... but I'm not really certain why. Can anyone offer any insight?

weetabixharry said:
Okay that's really clever... it's taken me a while to figure out how that works.

So, if I have [itex]0 \leq x < 2\pi[/itex], I think taking the arcsin would give:[tex]\alpha+2x=\frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]Then, given how we've defined [itex]\alpha[/itex], I feel like we can say:[tex]\tan\alpha = \frac{(B-A)}{2C}[/tex]Putting those things together, I get:[tex]x=\frac{3\pi}{4}-\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}\left\{\frac{(B-A)}{2C}\right\}[/tex]Hmm... but given that tan(x) repeats itself twice on the interval I'm interested in [itex](0 \leq x < 2\pi)[/itex] ... I feel like I've just reintroduced ambiguity.

That is to be expected, because [itex]f(x)[/itex] has a period of [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Thus there are two minima in [itex]0 \leq x \leq 2\pi[/itex].

FAQ: How to find minimum turning points

1. What is a turning point in a graph?

A turning point in a graph is a point where the direction of the curve changes. It can be either a minimum point, where the curve changes from decreasing to increasing, or a maximum point, where the curve changes from increasing to decreasing.

2. How do I identify the turning points in a graph?

To identify turning points in a graph, you can look for points where the slope of the curve is equal to zero. This can be done by finding the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The x-values at these points will be the coordinates of the turning points.

3. What is the process for finding the minimum turning points?

To find the minimum turning points, you can follow these steps:1. Find the derivative of the function.2. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve for x.3. Plug the x-values into the original function to find the corresponding y-values.4. The coordinates of these points will be the minimum turning points.

4. Can there be more than one minimum turning point in a graph?

Yes, there can be multiple minimum turning points in a graph. This occurs when the function has multiple local minima, or points where the function is decreasing and then starts increasing again.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding minimum turning points?

There is no specific formula for finding minimum turning points. It depends on the function and its graph. However, the general process of finding the derivative, setting it equal to zero, and solving for x can be applied to any function to find its minimum turning points.