How to find out various sine values from its graph.

In summary, the conversation discusses a disagreement over the values of sin(x) at pi/2 and 3pi/2. The answer states that the values neither increase nor decrease as x increases, while the questioner believes the derivative would be a horizontal straight line. The questioner also expresses gratitude for the clarification.
Phys12
Question (and Answer):

XtPLM.jpg

The answer is written in thin black, inc = increasing, dec = decreasing. Am I wrong anywhere?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would quibble over pi/2 and 3pi/2. In both of those cases the value of sin(x)neither increases nor decreases as x increases .

.Scott said:
I would quibble over pi/2 and 3pi/2. In both of those cases the value of sin(x)neither increases nor decreases as x increases .
Same here. Everything else is correct.

.Scott said:
Yeah, I also spent more time on those than others. I can see that the derivative there would be a horizontal straight line. Fine, thank you! :smile:

FAQ: How to find out various sine values from its graph.

1. How do I determine the amplitude of a sine wave from its graph?

The amplitude of a sine wave is the distance from the center line to the highest or lowest point on the graph. To find it, simply measure this distance and divide it by 2.

2. Is there a specific formula for finding the period of a sine wave from its graph?

Yes, the period of a sine wave is determined by the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π/|b|, where b is the coefficient of x in the equation y = sin(bx).

3. How can I find the phase shift of a sine wave from its graph?

The phase shift of a sine wave can be determined by finding the horizontal distance between the starting point of the wave and the vertical axis. This distance is also known as the horizontal displacement, and it represents the phase shift.

4. Can I find the frequency of a sine wave from its graph?

Yes, the frequency of a sine wave can be calculated by dividing 2π by the period of the wave. It is represented by the symbol f and is measured in Hertz (Hz).

5. How do I find the y-intercept of a sine wave from its graph?

The y-intercept of a sine wave is the point where the graph intersects with the y-axis. It can be found by looking at the point where the graph crosses the y-axis, or by calculating the value of y when x = 0 in the equation y = sin(bx).