How to find power of an engine in UCM?

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum power of an engine needed for a plane of mass 1930kg, driven by a pilot of mass 70kg, to move at a constant speed of 200 metres/sec in a vertical circular trajectory. The formulas of power and work are used, with potential and kinetic energy taken into account. The final answer is 2547770.7 Watts.
chrishans

Homework Statement

A plane of mass 1930kg, driven by a pilot of mass 70kg moves at a constant speed of 200 metres/sec describing a vertical circular trajectory, so that in the top of the circle the pilot is 'upside down'. Find the minimun power of the engine so that they can move from the bottom to the top of the trajectory.
mPLANE=1930 kg
mPILOT=70 kg
radius=1000 mtr
speed=200m/sec
I know the formulas of P(power) and L(work) but I really don't know how can the data fit into any of these. Please, help me! Thanks a lot!

Homework Equations

P=L/T
L=F·cos α·Δx (for constant forces)
L(A,B)=ΔMechanicalE=PotEB+KinEB+ElasticEB-(PotEA+KinEA+ElasticEA)
PotEb=m·g·h
KinEb=1/2·m·speed^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took potential energy 0 at the bottom of the circle and there is no elastic energy, so:
*g=10m/s
L(Bottom, Top)=PotEb+KinEb-KinEa-Pota
L(Bottom, Top)=2000kg·10m/s^2·2000m+2000kg·1/2·(200m/s)^2-2000kg·1/2·(200m/s)^2-2000kg·10m/s·0m
L(Bottom, Top)=40000000J+40000000J-40000000J-0J
L(Bottom, Top)=40000000J

The semicircle I'm asked about has a length of 1000m*π=3140m
At 200m/s the plane should take 3140/200=15.7 seconds.

Then:
P=L/T -> P=40000000J/15.7sec=2547770.7 Watts

Is this correct? I was given this excercise in an exam and did it wrong, and now I am trying to solve it at home, but I have no one to ask whether it is OK or not.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good to me

Related to How to find power of an engine in UCM?

What is the definition of power in an engine?

Power in an engine is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of energy that is transferred per unit of time. In simpler terms, it is the measure of the engine's ability to do work.

How is power calculated in an engine?

Power in an engine is typically calculated using the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. In the case of an engine, work is measured in torque and time is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM), so the formula becomes P = (T x RPM)/5252, where T is torque in foot-pounds and RPM is revolutions per minute.

What is UCM in relation to engine power?

UCM stands for Uniform Circular Motion and is a type of motion that describes the circular movement of an object at a constant speed. In the case of an engine, UCM refers to the rotational motion of the engine's components, such as the crankshaft and pistons, which ultimately determine the engine's power output.

What factors affect the power of an engine in UCM?

The power of an engine in UCM is affected by several factors, including the size and design of the engine, the type of fuel used, the air-to-fuel ratio, the compression ratio, and the efficiency of the engine's components, such as the valves and pistons. In addition, external factors such as altitude and temperature can also impact the engine's power output.

How can the power of an engine in UCM be increased?

The power of an engine in UCM can be increased by making modifications to the engine, such as increasing the size and number of cylinders, improving the air intake system, and optimizing the fuel injection system. Additionally, regular maintenance and tuning of the engine can also help to improve its power output.