How to find the angular acceleration in this problem?

In summary: In the case of angular motion, the formula is ω = αt. So the average angular velocity is 1/2 the final angular velocity. It is customary to use the Greek letter omega to represent average angular velocity, but I must admit that the way it's presented in this problem is a little peculiar and can be confusing. If you had simply been told that the arm traveled 1/3 of a circle in 0.36 seconds, it would have been obvious that the average angular velocity is 1/2*1/3 circle divided by 0.36 seconds. That would have been the end of the problem, since there's no need to calculate the maximum angular velocity in this case.
Chester8990

Homework Statement

Okay so this problem was in my test i did yesterday. While I finished it my teacher handed me the answers. Then i found his answer was half of mine for this question. But both answers seemed to be correct..

A projectile was launched from a trebuchet, the arm on the trebuchet has a mass of 10kg and the centre of mass is at the middle of the whole 10m length, which is also the centre of rotation.
It is known that the arm traveled 1/3 of a circle in 0.36s. Find the torque in this time interval.
SO.
mass=10kg
Length=10m
Time=0.36s
Omega(ω)(Angular velocity)=?
Moment of inertia(I)=?
Alpha(α)(Angular acceleration)=?
Torque(τ)=?

Homework Equations

Δθ=ωi*1/2 αt2
I=(mL2)/12
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=[(2π)/3]/0.36s
ω=5.817764173rad/s

I=[(10kg)(10m)2]/12
I=83.33333kg*m2

Δθ=ωi*1/2 αt2
since ωi = 0
Δθ=1/2 αt2
α=(2Δθ)/t2
α=[2*(2π)/3]/(0.36)2
α=32.32091207rad/s2

τ=Iα
τ=(83.33333kg*m2)(32.32091207rad/s2)
τ=2693.409338N.m

The answer sounds reasonable, until i use another equation to find α
α=Δω/Δt
α=(5.817764173rad/s)/0.36s
α=16.16045604rad/s2
This is how my teacher calculated his angular acceleration...
The different angular acceleration value will inevitably change the torque...
But both methods seemed to be correct...
Would you please help satisfy my curiosity? And possibly saving a few points in my test!
Thank you very much! :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the way you did it is correct. The angular velocity that you have found is the average angular velocity which is actually half of the maximum angular velocity in this case (since the acceleration is constant). So when your teacher used

[tex] \alpha = \Delta \omega / \Delta t [/tex]

The delta omega should not be equal to the average angular velocity, it should be

[tex] \alpha = 2 \omega_{av} / \Delta t [/tex]

Because delta omega is the difference of the final (maximum) angular velocity and the initial angular velocity(0)

And now the answers will agree.

It is important to realize and specify that what you have found is the average angular velocity. It cannot be an instantaneous velocity (you know it is constantly changing)

Last edited:
Chester8990 said:
ω=[(2π)/3]/0.36s
ω=5.817764173rad/s
There's the problem. What you're essentially doing there is Δθ/Δt but that only holds for uniform motion. In this case, it's uniform acceleration. The angular velocity is therefore only instantaneous i.e. ω = dθ/dt.

When the motion involves acceleration, the formula ω = Δθ/Δt gives you the average angular velocity over the period Δt, not the total angular velocity at the end of interval Δt. So using that value of ω as the Δω in α = Δω/Δt is not right.

Under constant angular acceleration α,

Δθ=1/2 αt2

so that

α = (2 Δθ)/t2

which yields α = 32.32 rad/sec2

Note that for constant acceleration you could write Δω = 2 Δθ/Δt, which would take into account that Δθ/Δt is an average. Then your Δω/Δt would yield the same value for acceleration as above.

Thanks very much folks, your comments have surely cleared some of the mists.
But one more question if I may, the 2*Δω simply varies from the Δωav=Δω/2 ?

Chester8990 said:
But one more question if I may, the 2*Δω simply varies from the Δωav=Δω/2 ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "simply varies from...". The average velocity for a body undergoing constant acceleration from rest is half of the final velocity.

This can be readily perceived if you consider that the velocity versus time graph for constant acceleration is a straight line: v = at, so that vav = (vfinal - vinitial)/2.

Related to How to find the angular acceleration in this problem?

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which describes how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing over time.

What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is a = (change in angular velocity) / (change in time), or a = (ωf - ωi) / (tf - ti), where ω represents angular velocity and t represents time.

How do I find the change in angular velocity?

The change in angular velocity can be found by subtracting the final angular velocity from the initial angular velocity. This can be represented as ωf - ωi.

How do I find the change in time?

The change in time can be found by subtracting the final time from the initial time. This can be represented as tf - ti.

Can I use the same formula to find angular acceleration in different units?

Yes, as long as the units for angular velocity and time are consistent, the same formula can be used to find angular acceleration in different units. However, it is important to convert all values to the same unit before plugging them into the formula.