How to Find the Cube Root of a Number?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the cube root of a number without using a calculator. The person mentions being able to find the cube root of numbers less than a million, but is unable to do so for a higher number. They ask for an algorithm to help with this. The other person suggests a method similar to long division, which can be found on a specific webpage.
NotaMathPerson
Hello!

My book explained how to take cube root of a number withou using calculator. I managed to extract the cube root of number less than a million. But when its higher like this one 12812904. I cannot extract it.

Can you suggest an algorithm on how to go about this one? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NotaMathPerson said:
Hello!

My book explained how to take cube root of a number withou using calculator. I managed to extract the cube root of number less than a million. But when its higher like this one 12812904. I cannot extract it.

Can you suggest an algorithm on how to go about this one? Thanks!

Hi NotaMathPerson,

There's a method to find the cube root of a number, similar to long division mentioned at the following webpage. It might be the one you are looking for.

https://xlinux.nist.gov/dads//HTML/cubeRoot.html

Related to How to Find the Cube Root of a Number?

1. How do I take the cube root of a number by hand?

To take the cube root of a number by hand, you can use the repeated subtraction method or the prime factorization method. In the repeated subtraction method, you repeatedly subtract numbers until you reach the cube root. In the prime factorization method, you break down the number into its prime factors and group them into sets of three, then take the cube root of each set.

2. What is the purpose of taking the cube root of a number?

Taking the cube root of a number is useful for solving problems involving three-dimensional shapes, as well as for finding the side length of a cube with a given volume. It can also be used in statistics and engineering calculations.

3. What is the difference between a cube root and a square root?

A cube root is the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original number. In contrast, a square root is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. While a square root is finding the side length of a square, a cube root is finding the side length of a cube.

4. Can a negative number have a cube root?

Yes, a negative number can have a cube root. However, unlike with square roots, taking the cube root of a negative number can result in a complex number. This is because a negative number multiplied by itself three times can result in either a negative or positive number.

5. Is there a shortcut for taking the cube root of a number?

There are some shortcuts for taking the cube root of certain numbers, such as perfect cubes (numbers that can be evenly divided by whole numbers). However, in general, there is no universal shortcut for taking the cube root of any number by hand. It is best to use one of the methods mentioned in the first question.