How to find the electric field between two ideal plates?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where an electron is placed between two parallel plates with a constant downward electric field. The trajectory of the electron is calculated and used to determine the magnitude of the electric field. The solution involves using kinematic equations and the definition of electric field. The final answer is 303 N/C, but it is possible that the incorrect answer is due to the number of significant digits used.
rjbush1127
There are two plates that lie horizontally parallel to each other, separated by a distance of 1 cm. Each plate is 2 cm long. The question wants you to assume that the electric field between the two fields is constant, and pointing directly downwards. On the left-most edge of this plate configuration, an electron is placed 0.5 cm above the bottom plate, and has a horizontal, initial velocity of 1.46x10^6 m/s. There is no vertical component to its acceleration or velocity. The picture in question shows the trajectory of the particle moving to the right, parallel to both plates due to the initial velocity, and accelerating upwards, due to the electric field, reaching the bottom-right corner of the top plate exactly at the end of the 2 cm span of the plate. Using this information, you are to determine the magnitude of the electric field.

To solve this, I used a kinematic equation to find the time, t, it took for the particle to reach a horizontal distance of 2 cm, the length of the plate. The equation I used was x(t) = vt, with v being the initial, horizontal velocity. Arranging the equation to solve for t, I found it to be 1.37x10^-8 seconds. Then, I set up my y-component trajectory equation as y(t) = y + 0.5at^2, where y is the initial y coordinate, and a is the acceleration due to the force exerted upon the electron by the electric field. I set y(t) = 0.01 m and y = 0.005m. By solving for t, I came to the equation a = (2(y(t)-y))/t^2, which simplifies to a = (.01)/t^2. When t found from the x-coordinate kinematic equation is substituted, I find that a is equal to 5.33x10^13 m/s^2.

At this point, I have all of the necessary variables to solve for electric field. I set up the equation initially as E=F/q, using the definition of electric field. I replaced F with ma, and am left with E=ma/q. The mass of an electron is 9.11x10^-31 kg and the charge is 1.602x10^-19 C. When I substitute in all of my values, I am left with an electric field with magnitude 303.1 N/C.

However, when I put my answer into Mastering Physics, I am incorrect. Could anyone out there help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? This makes sense in my head, but I am obviously not considering something. Thank you!

Edit: added missing units

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got numbers similar to you. Is it possible that the value is right but you should have a negative sign? The electron goes up so the field points down.

I tried that, but the answer was still incorrect. The question only asked for magnitude, and not direction. Thank you for helping out though.

It might be the number of significant digits. The data are given with 3 digits, and you rounded the acceleration to three digits, but gave the electric field with 4 digits. The last digit has no sense.

Never round the intermediate results, or leave more digits than it is necessary in the end result. (The intermediate rounding caused an error of 0.1.)

The end result must not given with higher accuracy (more significant digits) as the data. Input 303 N/C.

ehild

to the values given in the problem.Your approach to solving this problem is correct. However, there are a few mistakes in your calculations that may have led to an incorrect answer.

Firstly, in your calculation of time, you have not included the units for velocity (m/s). This may have led to an incorrect value for time. The correct value for time should be 1.37x10^-11 seconds.

Secondly, in your calculation of acceleration, you have not included the units for distance (m). The correct value for acceleration should be 5.33x10^15 m/s^2.

Lastly, in your final calculation for electric field, you have not included the units for mass (kg) and charge (C). The correct value for electric field should be 303.1 N/C.

Make sure to always check your units and include them in your calculations to avoid any errors. Also, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Hope this helps!

Related to How to find the electric field between two ideal plates?

1. What is an ideal plate?

An ideal plate is a theoretical concept in physics that represents a perfectly flat and uniform conducting surface. It is used in calculations for electric fields and is assumed to have an infinite size and a constant charge distribution.

2. How do you calculate the electric field between two ideal plates?

The electric field between two ideal plates can be calculated using the equation E = σ/ε0, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density of the plates, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two ideal plates?

The direction of the electric field between two ideal plates is always perpendicular to the plates and points away from the positively charged plate towards the negatively charged plate.

4. How does the distance between the two plates affect the electric field?

The electric field between two ideal plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases.

5. Can the electric field between two ideal plates be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two ideal plates can be zero if the plates are neutral (have no net charge) or if the charges on the plates are equal and opposite, creating a canceling effect.